Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Pange Lingua

Pange Lingua 1 year 3 months ago #4419

• Kanpai
This is one of my favorite chants and I'd love to learn to play it on the harmonica. Does anyone have a tab or have the ability to transcribe one? Below is a link to a video containing a good version if you're not familiar with the song.

EDIT: Here's a link to the sheet music.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Kanpai.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Pange Lingua 1 year 3 months ago #4420

• SWAPAN DEB
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 15
Hi Kanpai, I have just listened. It's a good one no doubt, but don't know the tab.

Pange Lingua 1 year 3 months ago #4421

• Kanpai
I realized after posting this that if I had the sheet music and a harmonica diagram (easily found on the internet), I could write the tab myself. It took a while since I only read bass clef, but I muddled my way through it and came up with a tab that sounds really nice. I've posted it to harptabs, but it's still in draft mode until I get some formatting issues worked out. I'll post a link here once I publish the final version.

EDIT: Here's the link to the published tab. I suppose this thread is more or less pointless now unless you just want to comment on the tab itself or provide another version.
Last Edit: 1 year 3 months ago by Kanpai. Reason: Added link to tab

Pange Lingua 1 year 3 months ago #4422

• Harmlessonica
  • Thank you received: 51
That's some pretty quick work Kanpai! You're fast becoming a harmonica prodigy.....

I'd love to hear a recording of your version if you care to make one. I suppose you could add reverb or something for a more poignant sound.

Pange Lingua 1 year 3 months ago #4423

• Marcy
  • Thank you received: 76
Hi, Kampai, that's a really beautiful chant. I don't have the tune in my head enough to transcribe it, but it sounds like it's in the dorian mode. They call this third position on the harmonica. If you start on draw 4 as the root of your scale instead of blow four you'll hear that minor sound of those old Gregorian chants. It's the mode of many of the old time American folksongs I like too. Here's the scale, -4, 5, -5, 6, -6, -7, 7, -8. You can play around with different patterns in that scale always resolving on that root to get used to where the notes fall and also addin in some of the notes from the octave bellow and above. You can see the root is a different note than the key printed on the harmonica. It'll be one note higher--so dorin or third position on a C harp will be in the key of D. Dorian on a G harp will be in the key of A. I hope this is helpful and am really looking forward to hearing what you do with the piece.

Pange Lingua 1 year 3 months ago #4425

• Kanpai
Harmlessonica, thanks for the kind words although I'm not sure I deserve them. Truth is I posted before giving it a lot of thought. Once I realized sheet music was readily available, it was a fairly simple task to turn that into a tab. I don't have a D harp right now, so any recording I make of it will have to be in C or A, but it shouldn't be too difficult.

Marcy, I've only been playing harp for a little less than two weeks, so my knowledge of alternate positions (anything other than first) is limited at best. Having said that, I'm willing to give it a shot. I've got a C harp that I can try this on, but it'll have to wait until I get home later today. Thanks for the suggestion - it sounds like a fun project.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.233 seconds