Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Just Curious

Just Curious 7 months 1 week ago #8173

• Bambam
I have just started learning to play and my first Harp was a Seydel blues session and it has a decent sound and feel, I wanted to try a couple other ones that I had heard about and next bought a Hohner Big River, I have fallen in love with the feel and sound of it. I think it might be "my Harp of choice". I know that a lot of people have bad things to say about them, and I was curious if anyone else played them and what they think of them, and what you do play and what made you decide to play that Harp.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Just Curious 7 months 1 week ago #8174

• Sarge
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 179
A lot of folks like the Big River. I have owned a couple in the past and didn't really care for them. I did have one that had some work done to it that played really nice. Harmonica choice is a matter of personal opinion. What one likes another may not. What's important is that you like it and don't pay attention to someone that wants to put down your choice of harmonica.

Just Curious 7 months 1 week ago #8184

• keith
  • Thank you received: 134
I started out with Hohner Special 20s, a C & A min, then I tried a Seydel Session Steel lowC, I love the sound of those steel reeds. :)

Also have a Seydel Orchestra S lowC, Big Six Folk, & Big Six Blues, all with steel reeds.

Chromatics - Hohner Chrometta14, CX12, CX12 tenor, Swan 1040 (valveless), & just got a Seydel Deluxe Steel orchestra tuned.

No, I'm not rich, just spending a little on myself in my retirement. ;)
Last Edit: 7 months 1 week ago by keith.

Just Curious 7 months 1 week ago #8201

• Whitelight
  • Thank you received: 6
Hello BamBam,

I have one Big River in C that I used to play, off and on, but don't anymore. I'm with Sarge.

I have a few Golden Melody's that I like and play once in a while.

My choice by far, is the Hohner Marine Band 1896... I like the sound, size and feel, as they are a bit smaller, and fit my hand perfectly. It's the harmonica, I got started on.

I do believe Mark Lavoie, plays Big Rivers... You should look him up.

Enjoy the quest,

Gary

Just Curious 7 months 1 week ago #8205

• AndyT
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 69
I started out on a Hohner Special20, but gravitated pretty quickly to a Hohner Marine Band 1896. It just feels more comfortable, despite a range of issues re maintenance.

I have a whole heap of other harps - Suzuki Manji's Seydel 1847s and Orchestras, but I keep going back to the Marine Bands. I occassionaly have splashed out on the more expensive ones - the Marine Band Deluxe is my current favourite, but I also have a few Crossovers, which are good.

If you like the harp, that's all you need to worry about.

Andy

Just Curious 7 months 13 hours ago #8254

• spideryak
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I recently upgraded my harps to the hohner Rocket. I wanted to mention that the hole spacing is not all the same from one harp style to the other..
I see that mentioned on another topic thread here with the chromatics I think it is.
It's subtle but you might want to keep that in the back of your mind as you try different harps and what not.

I find that the Rocket and Lee Oskars have the same spacing
a tiny bit different than the marine bands for example.
it took awhile when I would wonder how come I would get my note right on the money , but then miss with a different harp.

Lot's of good harps out there..good luck ...have fun.
Time to create page: 0.210 seconds