Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: replacing reed plates

replacing reed plates 5 months 1 week ago #8218

• roach
I have never replaced reed plates. So I ordered new ones, and started the process when they came of replacing them. I opened the harp up and the screws on the old one arent screws they are like nails, I guess.. So does anyone know do I just pound them out , carefully, and the screws I received will screw in? Doesnt seem right.
I have tools Im in construction Im just afraid the screws wont work once I remove the old fastners.
Thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

replacing reed plates 5 months 1 week ago #8220

• Reed Smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
@Roach,
I am doubtful your new plates will fit without drilling the comb. What you have is an older model Golden Melody, Hohner used the same pins to attach the reed plates as they continue to use on the Marine band 1986 to this day. The screws sent are of too
large a diameter for the comb. The new reed plates are drilled and tapped to receive the screws provided, the pins would not hold the new plates securely if at all. The comb on the GM is acrylic and quite brittle and often crack when drilled. *Ron has GM combs and mouth covers too if you find you need them.
I used a comb made by Blue Moon Harmonicas to rebuild my old pin assembled GM, I had to drill and tap the plates, but I have the tools necessary, I even had Tom at Blue Moon powder coat the mouth covers white which made it real smooth overall with the new comb. You can find Blue Moon Combs here: bluemoonharmonicas.com
Regards, Reed

*Rockin Ron's Music

replacing reed plates 5 months 1 week ago #8228

• john_broecker
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
The nails on your old model harmonica are sometimes called "drift pins",
as on Hohner Golden Melody harps.

On other models, they are sometimes called "J hooks", as on the Hohner #1896
Marine Band harmonica, the original type, not the Deluxe.

These are two different types of nails. If you tell us the brand and model of your
harmonica, we can tell you how to remove the nails.

However, screws or the old nails may not fit properly on the new reed plates or
on the comb.

You may need to drill new holes in the reed plates and comb, or enlarge the diameter
of the present comb's nail holes. Then, you could either thread the screw through the
comb and bottom reed plates, or use a bolt and nut attachment through the comb and
reed plates.

After discussion of the above solutions, you may decide that restoration of the old
harp isn't worth the time an effort, and just buy a new harp, which may be an
easier, less expensive and better solution.

John Broecker
Sussex, Wisconsin, USA
Last Edit: 5 months 1 week ago by john_broecker.
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds