Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Are there others wanting Sheet Music

Are there others wanting Sheet Music 2 weeks 3 days ago #11418

• dfcii
  • dfcii's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Good day everyone,

Wow - HarmonicaClub.com is a great site. I wish I had found it a year ago when I first started taking lessons.

So, on with my question: Are there others that would prefer songs be posted as Musical Sheet Music rather than harp tabs? I am trying to learn to read music as I learn to play the harp. I would prefer sheet music to harp tabs.

Just curious,
Don.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Are there others wanting Sheet Music 2 weeks 3 days ago #11428

• dezzy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 92

dfcii wrote: Good day everyone,

Wow - HarmonicaClub.com is a great site. I wish I had found it a year ago when I first started taking lessons.

So, on with my question: Are there others that would prefer songs be posted as Musical Sheet Music rather than harp tabs? I am trying to learn to read music as I learn to play the harp. I would prefer sheet music to harp tabs.

Just curious,
Don.

Don, I think the main reason TABs are used is because of copyright laws. It would be great to freely swap music notation but there would be a scream if it was copyrighted. However, there are sites that have music notation on old music that is out of copyright. Of course, if someone has the music it can be sent personally to someone by Email. It is also sometimes a problem playing a song on youtube it comes under copyright law. Fortunately, Lots of artists don't mind as it publicises their work.

Are there others wanting Sheet Music 2 weeks 3 days ago #11436

I don't prefer tab (harmonica tabllature)over trad (traditional music notation),
or trad over tab, or listening over written music. I learn with all 3 methods,
usually in a combination of trad and tab.

In learning a song that you already know, or have heard before,
harmonica tab is quicker than traditional music notation. But,
since our memories are often incorrect, tab learning may stray
from the original tune's design.

If you are trying to learn a song that is new to you, or not heard
before, traditional music notation is the only way to learn the tune,
as written. Tab will be useless to you.

There is another method to learning music, without any written sheets:

by ear (by listening and repeating the process many times). This will
be quick and effective only if scales and arpeggios are memorized,
in the appropriate key, before the tune's practice.

Happy Holidays

JB

Last Edit: by john_broecker.

Are there others wanting Sheet Music 2 weeks 3 days ago #11437

Hi Dfcii, I use sheet music exclusively for harmonica. I use a program called Easy ABC to store and display tunes in notation form. You can attach notation as a pdf file in the forum. i would be surprised if there were any copyright objections but it would be interesting if there were as it would mean that some really sad person was reading all our posts.
I have been playing about a year and have about 350 tunes in my abc collection which I am happy to share if anyone is interested.
The following user(s) said Thank You: dezzy, dfcii

Are there others wanting Sheet Music 2 weeks 3 days ago #11443

• keith
  • Thank you received: 148

dfcii wrote: I would prefer sheet music to harp tabs.

Try a flute music site, or this one - www.8notes.com/scores/6241.asp
The following user(s) said Thank You: dfcii

Are there others wanting Sheet Music 2 weeks 3 days ago #11454

• dfcii
  • dfcii's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 2
Keith,

I try to use sheet music exclusively. I have a book that has songs with both and I cover the harp tabs and copy the page before I start to learn the song. I'm slow but I can read the what note it is. Now I need to be able to understand the whole notes, half, quarter, eighth notes and such - not what they are or mean but just what they look like on the sheet music. Some of them I have, some I don't.

How funny that site displayed "Scotland the Brave" when I first went there. THAT was a song that I learned to play as a bit of a surprise for my music teacher. Not because he is Scottish but just because I thought it would be an interesting and challenging song to play. He was appropriately impressed. Actually it was going to be a song that I had planned on putting up as a challenge song. It is challenging, at least to me it was. "My Country 'tis of Thee" was another that I was going to toss out as a challenge.

One of the things that bothers me about the challenge song is the degree of difficulty for me as a beginner vs. someone that has played for a long time.

Anyway, thanks Keith. I'm glad I am not alone.

Don.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.246 seconds