Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What brand and style microphone are you using

What brand and style microphone are you using 1 year 11 months ago #1467

• guitarman8491
  • Thank you received: 1
I am interested in the brand and type of microphone that you are using for recording and any pros or cons to what you are or have used.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What brand and style microphone are you using 1 year 11 months ago #1481

• spideryak
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 55
I use a bullet style mic...I can cup it in my hands and it is forgiving as far as picking up peripheral noise.
I think it's a hohner but not sure. (worth mentioning it's not for vocals)

If I were to upgrade I would probably look for a wireless set up and see if there were some that were harmonica friendly.

I still step on the cord to much when I play sometimes yanking it from my hands...not my most graceful of moves.
The following user(s) said Thank You: guitarman8491

What brand and style microphone are you using 1 year 11 months ago #1483

• george
  • Thank you received: 3
I did some research a long while back and included some of the pics in my text I used when teaching, so I thought I'd pass this along. There are some sites out there that inform how to create your own mic, in whatever color individualizes your playing. Some are simple, made from the top of a plastic pop or washing liquid bottle. Some are exotic, fashioned from beautiful wood and made as a ring that does away with grasping continually. The materials over the years have become more economical, but you have to choose your own by need and desire. I hope some takes a look, even if the information is not used.
Geo.

What brand and style microphone are you using 1 year 11 months ago #1490

• guitarman8491
  • Thank you received: 1
George..thank you for your response. Where might I find the pictures that you reference..thanks Doug

What brand and style microphone are you using 1 year 11 months ago #1491

• Reed Smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Guitarman,
Depends on what you wish to achieve. Acoustic, or overdriven electric blues style tone?
Are you recording at home on a computer, or are you going into a studio with a engineer?
If you are recording at home into your computer and want an acoustic sound most any mic
that is compatible to your system will suffice. JUST DON"T TRY TO CUP THE MIC, play back
from it, experiment with your levels etc. If you are playing thru an amp, set up your recording mic
to pick up the amp signal/sound, again, experiment with your levels.
I own several mics, three "bullet" style harp mics, three SM57's, one 58, one SM345. When I am
going into a studio I consider what I am playing, For electric style Blues, I'll take an amp, bullet
mics, FX pedal/s. If I am playing an acoustic style of music, I generally use a Shure Sm57 stick mic
and go straight to the board or where ever the engineer puts me. The same applies to playing a gig/show
I bring what I need.
There are fancy computer mics that folks are using for home recording, often you can find them at a
greatly reduced bargain on your local Craigslist*. However, for simple home recording (or for posting here)
an inexpensive mic is all that is really needed.
@Spideryak, I use a 20' mic cord with my bullet, I loop it around my neck and put a portion in my back pocket
or thru a belt loop behind me. This keeps the cord away from my feet and greatly reduces the chances of my
stepping on the cord on pulling the cord from the amphenol connector, or worse (yipes) my hands.
For great microphones as they relate to harmonica and vocal check Greg Huemann's work, www.blowsmeaway.com
Greg is a nice guy and very knowledgeable on all thing microphone.
Regards, Reed
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by Reed Smith.

What brand and style microphone are you using 1 year 11 months ago #1495

• Tootler
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 41
I play acoustic (fiddle tunes) and I use a pencil condenser mic ( a Shure PG81, it takes a single AA battery so doesn't need phantom power) both for gigging and for recording at home. As I also play flute and whistle on gigs, the one mic serves for all, is pretty sensitive so I don't need to be too close to get adequate sound. Our PA is more for sound reinforcement so dancers can hear us in halls with dodgy acoustics.

For home recording I often just use the built in mics on my Tascam multi track recorder. They are more than adequate for vocals and acoustic instruments for posting on You Tube.
Time to create page: 0.201 seconds