Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

• Page:

TOPIC: Microphones

Microphones 1 year 9 months ago #2773

• Lithy
Hi Gents.

Any of you savvy with all the different microphones on the market?

I currently have 2 mics, a Green Bullet 520DX and a fabulous little 'Bottle o' Blues' I bought from the US... best few dollars I ever spent on this little gem.
Was thinking of purchasing a Bulletizer Shure Ultimate 545 from Blowsmeaway Productions in the US. Have any of you had any comments from harp players using this microphone or heard anyone performing with it?

Cheers.
Lithy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Microphones 1 year 9 months ago #2774

• SWAPAN DEB
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 15
Hi Lithy, my view on microphone is, good sound or a brilliantly playing a song through mic depends on skill of playing and quality of harp not the mic. A standard mic is enough for harp playing. I, myself do use a standard Indian mic at the time of recording only. So, I think only 10 percent depend on mic for good playing. I never concentrate on mic for harp playing. This is my personal view of-course, some may be defer.
Last Edit: 1 year 9 months ago by SWAPAN DEB.

Microphones 1 year 9 months ago #2775

• Crawforde
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I do not play amplified, I get enough requests to stop when practicing as quietly as possible.
Most people seem to love anything from Blows me Away.
They often get discussed over at modern blues harmonica.
I believe the Ultimate 545 is what Jason Ricci plays, he seems to know what he is doing. I also assume he could make anything, harmonica or microphone or acorn cap, sound good.
The 545 is a popular model all by itself, after the treatment to make it Ultimate, it can only get better. And it gets a red handle. When I was selling canoes and kayaks years ago I told a customer once in jest, "the red ones are faster....." I had to spend a long time convincing him it made no difference.
To me, for all tools, gear, harmonicas, etc., I look for durability and comfort during use once I have narrowed the field down by quality. It seems to save time and money in the long run. Given that companies reputation I would think it a safe choice, but the tone of a 545 might be much different from what you are used to . The bulletini is more of a bullet style and is less expensive...
Let us know what you do and what you think! Eventually I'm going to want to get loud and chase the kids out ;)

Microphones 1 year 9 months ago #2776

• spideryak
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 58
When I was asking for advice as to which type of mic to use.
I was told a bullet style for playing with elec guitars and what not. and a Shure Sm 58 for playing with acoustic and vocals . Sometimes you'll see people play harp through the bullet style and then the 58 style for vocals.

For the bullet style I use the Red Howler, not a particular favorite but I like the way that style fits the hands so nicely.
(with the other style it brings it also to the question of which mic stand preference etc)

....rereading your question I realize I must say "no I haven't used that particular mic that you were asking about..

Microphones 1 year 9 months ago #2777

• jeremyh
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
"the red ones are faster....."
-but we all know the red ones DO go faster :P

A well known mandolin player recommended red picks for just that reason -I think he was joking.

Microphones 1 year 9 months ago #2778

• Sarge
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 176
It's hard to beat that little bottle of blues mic for the price.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.182 seconds