Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

• Page:

TOPIC: Recording, tuners, metronomes

Recording, tuners, metronomes 1 year 2 days ago #6051

• tom82
I have read many times it is a good idea to record one's self while learning and practicing the harmonica.
What equipment, software etc do you use?
What software do you use and recommend?
I am using Bendometer, not for recording but for learning bends.
I am aware of HarpNinja and currently looking into it.

What type of tuners do people recommend and what features would you recommend to be on it?

If I wanted to practice staying in time, would you recommend a metronome?
I have noticed there are the traditional pyramid ones with the needle on the front that sways side to side and electronic ones, and also electronic ones with tuners built in.
Which type would you recommend?

Thank you
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Recording, tuners, metronomes 1 year 2 days ago #6053

• jeremyh
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 13
If you've got a smart phone you'll be able to find an app that does all the above on Android I use Sound Corset play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=co...client.android&hl=en

The sound recording is a bit clunky, but good enough for practice. The quality depends a lot on the phone or tablet. You could also use the video camera on your phone or tablet to record yourself. For better recordings I use a little Zoom H1 which can record either standalone or you can use it as a USB mic into a computer.

I do have a pyramid tuner that I use a lot and cheapo Chinese clip on tuners for other instruments, but they wouldn't work well with the harmonica -the display would be in your nostrils :)

Recording, tuners, metronomes 1 year 2 days ago #6054

• keith
  • Thank you received: 132
I have a Korg MA-1 small electronic metronome, & a Samson USB mic that I bought for using with my ukes, & I reckon they will be good enough for my harps, when I get around to recording myself. I use the built in webcam on my laptop with the USB mic. :)

Edit: Prior to this set up, I just used a digital camera.
Last Edit: 1 year 2 days ago by keith.

Recording, tuners, metronomes 1 year 2 days ago #6055

• spideryak
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I use a small digital recorder that I bought used for $40 (it's about the size of a harmonica)
I usually play it through a pair of small speakers when I want to listen though you can play it without speakers.
I use the smart phone if I want to make a video.

Recording, tuners, metronomes 1 year 1 day ago #6056

• tom82
Thanks for the suggestions.

Some ideas I have had for devices are, Zoom portable recorder (or similar), ipod and or cell phone (HTC One M8, Andriod), Korg TM-50 (without recorder and use with some other recording device) or TMR-50 (has recorder).

Do you have any problems with the quality of the mic, distortion, speakers etc on your phone?

Recording, tuners, metronomes 1 year 1 day ago #6057

• Marcy
  • Thank you received: 76
I use the zoom recorder you mentioned. It has good audio and also probably more storage space than a phone. I find that handy because I can record my whole practice instead of taking one shot at a song. I just push stop and start again whenever I play something I want to come back to.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.273 seconds