Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Chrometta 10

Chrometta 10 8 months 4 days ago #7093

• spideryak
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 55
I was hoping to find a warmer sounding chromatic so thought I would give a chrometta a try and opted for the 10.

It came last week okay but several of the holes rattle. Sounds like paper and basically unplayable.
Unfortunately it went right to the junk drawer. I'd like to fix it up to play, but not inspiring to have a brand new harp as a fixer upper.

I did a quick search here and see the 8 is popular... is there some basic difference that I'm not understanding ?
and of course tips on how to get this one up and running. would be much appreciated.
.thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Chrometta 10 8 months 4 days ago #7094

• Suave_Blues_Man
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 21
Brother spideryak,

You have a warranty (available here):

us.playhohner.com/service/hohner-service...e/#HARMONICAWARRANTY

I'm NOT a Chrometta player but they look like fun!

Be Blues...And Jazz,

Suave Blues Man

Chrometta 10 8 months 4 days ago #7095

• spideryak
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 55
Thanks , I didn't know they had a warranty. (new since 2015 is how they listed it) for returns and what not.
Looks promising.

Chrometta 10 8 months 4 days ago #7096

• Harmlessonica
  • Thank you received: 51
I used to own a 14 holer, and though I hated the mouthpiece, the notes themselves sounded okay.

spideryak wrote:
...Sounds like paper and basically unplayable...

This sounds like a windsaver issue more than anything else, not necessarily a fault in the harmonica.

I have very little experience with chromatics, but there could have been some moisture in the valves (they're like two leaves of plastic film) and forceful breath on them can produce a flapping sound.

I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in, but checking the chrom is warm and dry is the first thing to do, so you can ascertain if there is an actual fault or not.

Chrometta 10 8 months 4 days ago #7097

• Dexer
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 75
I hope this gets worked out to your satisfaction. I've been reading reviews and watching some videos and the Chrometta 10 seems to get very good ratings and I like the sound I hear. I've been thinking about getting a 10-holer myself...something a bit more portable than what I have.

In Canada, I can't risk getting a bad harp (not that there is much I can do about it if I do get a clunker). Several years back, Hohner basically closed up shop in Canada now services Canada through Hohner USA. I think they have some people in Canada authorized to work on diatonics but i don't know if they have any chromatic service available up here. I once wanted to buy a slide for a 270...the only place to order one was through Hohner USA: $23.00 for the slide PLUS $29.00 shipping to Canada! No deal. I manufactured my own slide with a stainless steel ruler, a drill press and diamond-tipped grinding bits (BTW, it works better than the original slide).

I think that's why Canadians are naturally good repairmen...we can't afford to send things away for warranty service :).

Chrometta 10 8 months 4 days ago #7098

• keith
  • Thank you received: 125
Sorry to hear you got a duff one, my 14 has good tone, though I do not like the mouth piece. :(

Another 10 to take a look at is the Swan, no windsavers, so it takes more air, but it's a lot less bother. :)
Time to create page: 0.237 seconds