Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: What harmonicas do you play?

What harmonicas do you play? 3 months 4 weeks ago #8337

• keith
  • Thank you received: 117
I belong here & another mainly chromatic forum, & was wondering if everyone here is more diatonic based or if there are other mainly chromatic based people.

I know some people play a variety of harmonicas, & I think it would be interesting to know who plays which & why they choose them.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

What harmonicas do you play? 3 months 4 weeks ago #8338

• keith
  • Thank you received: 117
So, I'll go first to get the ball rolling. ;)

I'd always liked the sound, though I had thought some harmonica music was actually played on an organ, silly me. :blush:

Anyway, when I retired, I was determined to try & play a musical instrument properly - by that I mean to actually get to grips with it & play some music. So my first choice was an electric piano - bad choice, too complicated. Next I chose harmonica, diatonic to be specific, but I just couldn't get my embouchure right & quickly got frustrated. So I bought a ukulele.......

Good choice for me, as I actually learned to play it reasonably well, & that made me want to get to grips with my harmonicas.
Bought a few diatonics, but having so many missing notes, I went & got myself my first chromatic, it wasn't the best choice, & so I bought a better one - I think you know what happened after that. :P

So here I am, making some progress, & determined to play some music on my harmonicas.

Chromatic is my main choice.
Last Edit: 3 months 4 weeks ago by keith.

What harmonicas do you play? 3 months 4 weeks ago #8339

• Sarge
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 163
I play both diatonics and chromatics. I started on diatonic when I was 10 and about the time I was 14 I wanted a chromatic in order to hit the missing notes. I took part of my fur check and bought a hohner 260. I have several diatonics and several chromatics. Diatonics include Bushman Soul's Voice (8) Easttop (7) Seydel (7) Hohner (2), I have 3 hohner chrometta 8, 2 hohner 260, 1 hohner 270, 1 hohner CX 12, 1 hohner chrometta 10, 1 Hering 12 hole, 1 Easttop Black and Gold 12 hole, and Swan 10 hole.
I will add that the 2 hohner diatonics, a crossover and special 20 are customized, also the Soul's Voice are mildly customized.
Last Edit: 3 months 4 weeks ago by Sarge.

What harmonicas do you play? 3 months 4 weeks ago #8340

• john_broecker
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
I play all harmonica types, except the antique Hohner Harmonetta.
I play some of them better than others.

The most often played are the 10-hole blues harp type (single reed
diatonics) and slide chromatics. Bass harp and Chord harps are also
played occasionally.

I also play custom tunings, such as diminished, circular and
Paddy Richter reed placements, but only as practice instruments.

Best Regards

John Broecker

What harmonicas do you play? 3 months 4 weeks ago #8342

• Dexer
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 74
I'm the definition of "jack of all trade, master of none". The types I've actually played so far include a variety of diatonics, chromatics and tremolos.

I own one harmonica that I haven't attempted to play: a Suzuki SS-37 Soprano; a 37 hole, blow only harp. Couldn't pass up the deal but I don't want to mess around with it because I'm likely to d more harm than good right now :).

I just got that Suzuki SCH-24 chord harmonica that I have to figure out.

I started with a Hohner Special 20 and them bought a Suzuki Bluesmaster and a Seydel Session Steel. A Hohner 270 and CX12 chromatic followed within the year.

This all lead to an unhealthy desire to try as many different types of harps as possible. The discovery of Suzuki deals on amazon.ca lead me to acquire most of Suzuki's diatonic lineup. I now have harps from Hohner, Suzuki, Seydel and Tombo. Although I now own dozens of harps including high end harps like the Suzuki Sirius. Fabulous Diatonic and SCH-24, I've never spent more than $155.00US on a harp.

What harmonicas do you play? 3 months 4 weeks ago #8343

• dezzy
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 55
Different harmonicas , I'm in that club too. Started with diatonic ,then up to chromatics now on to tremolo. I played at an aged care home weekly singalong on diatonic. When I tried with the tremolo the folk gave me the thumbs up. Sounded stronger. So I got to like the tremolo and always start new songs with them. Yes at times I cant fake the sharps or flats, that get put into the standard key. Then out comes the chromatic. Would love to buy a lower note chromatic, never use the top 2 holes, but can't afford it yet.
Time to create page: 0.311 seconds