Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Question re types of tuning

Question re types of tuning 1 month 1 week ago #9485

• Simon
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi All

Any experts on the myriad types of tuning out there? I'm starting to get the Richter tuning concept, (the lower registers missing some notes so they can be used more for harmonic accompaniment, right?) but I'm just wondering if there are diatonics out there that have "all" the notes (not with bends) in all registers in their key. And if so, what would they be called and where can they be found?

Cheers

Simon
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Question re types of tuning 1 month 1 week ago #9486

• keith
  • Thank you received: 117
I think the closest you'll get is a Seydel Orchestra S, it is solo tuned like a chromatic, so you have all the notes, but no accidentals.
It'll play tunes that are in the key of C. Otherwise, most people have different key harps, C, G, D, & F most commonly.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon

Question re types of tuning 1 month 1 week ago #9489

• Drifter
Hi Simon,
I found Richter tuning a pain in the neck and altered the tuning of my diatonic to "Paddy Richter" tuning by filing a bit off one of the Gs to give me an A. This was so successful that I filed the rest of the reeds down so I now have D E F G A B C D E F G A B C D E F G A C and have never looked back. The only problem with this is that you have to suck the E G and blow the D F A but you get used to that quite quickly although it becomes difficult if you change to another conventional harmonica. There are some "Solo" tuned instruments out there but I found it cheaper and better to modify an existing one. .Tremolo harmonicas have a sort of solo tuning and a lot of Scottish and Irish players use these rather than diatonics and they play them very fast which is something i can't manage.
Hope that helps.

Question re types of tuning 1 month 1 week ago #9490

• Simon
Thanks, Keith. Interesting. And can you still do all the bends on them like on a Richter?

Question re types of tuning 1 month 1 week ago #9491

• Simon
It does kinda help, thanks Drifter, But I'm not quite brave enough yet to start playing around with filing the reeds. It's all so tiny and delicate inside there, and it's a lot of money down the drain if I mess up.

Question re types of tuning 1 month 1 week ago #9494

• keith
  • Thank you received: 117
Simon wrote:
Thanks, Keith. Interesting. And can you still do all the bends on them like on a Richter?

Yes, I believe so - as of yet, I haven't needed to, or tried myself.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Simon
Time to create page: 0.199 seconds