• Page:

TOPIC: Slideless Chromatic

Slideless Chromatic 8 months 3 weeks ago #9574

• Tootler
  • Tootler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 64
I met someone at Whitby Folk Week yesterday who has a Tombo S50 slidless Chromatic harmonica. He let me have a quick blow and it was interesting. I've found more info on Pat Missin's site. www.patmissin.com/ffaq/q24.html

I found Amazon UK sell them through a third party seller and they were pretty cheap. The basic version was £27 and the violin scale (equivalent of a 14 hole) was £32 so I've ordered a violin scale one. It's coming from Japan so I won't get it till mid September but I'll keep you posted when it arrives.

There will obviously be a learning curve as it will require a different technique but it wasn't too difficult to play each "side" of the instrument separately.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Slideless Chromatic 8 months 3 weeks ago #9575

• keith
  • Thank you received: 173
I've seen mention of these before, they sound ideal, I'll have to keep an eye out for your report. :)

Slideless Chromatic 8 months 3 weeks ago #9612

• dezzy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 126
Well, there you are! Innovation! But still, no one working on eliminating those little sticky pieces they call valves.

Slideless Chromatic 8 months 3 weeks ago #9617

• Tootler
  • Tootler's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 64
Apparently they don't have valves. Each reed has its own chamber. Check the link I put in the OP

Amazon notified me this morning it's on its way. Due mid to late September. A small packet in a container on a v large container ship headed for Southampton or Felixstowe.

Last Edit: by Tootler.

Slideless Chromatic 8 months 3 weeks ago #9620

• keith
  • Thank you received: 173
If they had the notes laid out like a piano, it would probably be easier to play, (but I don't think they do).
Yes, the fact that each reed has its own chamber means no pesky valves. :)
(I've had some stuff come from China, & it arrived in 3 weeks, hopefully you won't have to wait too long.)

Slideless Chromatic 8 months 3 weeks ago #9621

• Dexer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 80
I've had stuff from China arrive in one week...or TEN WEEKS. Most of the time, my packages are a bit late so don't panic if it doesn't show up on time. I've never had a package from China go missing.

The notes on my Suzuki SS-37 Soprano are laid out like piano keys. Suzuki even makes a point of saying that it is easy to play, "if you can play the piano..." which, of course, I can't.

It's a blow only, valveless chromatic. It's very expensive (though, as always, I found a real deal).

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.251 seconds