Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: improv

improv 1 year 11 months ago #1764

• Harpdoctor
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 7
Way over my head now, lol.
Seriously though, I have words and music for the song "If Judy Wants to Travel" I just don't know how to get the music down on paper. That's what I meant when I said I needed a professional to assist me.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

improv 1 year 11 months ago #1765

• AndyT
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 69
Harpdoctor wrote:
Seriously though, I have words and music for the song "If Judy Wants to Travel" I just don't know how to get the music down on paper. That's what I meant when I said I needed a professional to assist me.

It was way over mine too and I typed it in
Last Edit: 1 year 11 months ago by AndyT. Reason: Whole hep of text didn't load.

improv 1 year 11 months ago #1766

• AndyT
  • Platinum Member
Ok, for some reason, the rest of the message got ignored - twice.

Here it is, again.

I assume when you say you have the music and words, what you mean is you know it in your head but want to put it down on paper, either for others, or to ensure you get the right version which you like. That's a big task.

You need to first list all the notes you are playing - I.e. Tab it up - then line them up with the words. Then do what tabs miss, such as set out the note lengths, the rests, the beat, the tempo (speed) and so on. All the things captured in normal music scores but lost in tabs.

Like I said, a lot of work. I do it for songs I'm learning - to a certain degree (I use short hand for note lengths at least) but not too often as it is a lot of work.

Andy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Harpdoctor

improv 1 year 11 months ago #1767

• AndyT
  • Platinum Member
Oh and I really like your playing by the way. Very groovy.

Andy
The following user(s) said Thank You: Harpdoctor

improv 1 year 11 months ago #1776

• Harmlessonica
  • Thank you received: 51
AndyT wrote:
....you want to go down the full modulation, imperfect, plagal then modulation and perfect cadence route - I.e. Original key (say key of C), key change, possibly to the subdominant key (F), imperfect cadence, any chord to the V chord (the C chord in key of F strangely enough), change key back to C - the imperfect cadence could lead to this, then fool the audience with a plagal cadence from IV (F again) to the Tonic, C, back to the dominant (G) resolving to the C.

The, that's the making of a symphony if ever there was one.

A Silly Symphony perhaps :)

This is why I run a mile when anyone mentions music theory. I get the basic principles, but once too many terms are mentioned I am lost...

Artists can work in different ways, and there is a danger of being too formulaic. I'd hazard a guess that most of us subconsciously know and appreciate musical structure because that's why we appreciate it.

That said, it's probably true to say that in order to create music, you do have to consciously know the rules before you can bend them...

improv 1 year 11 months ago #1777

• Harmlessonica
  • Thank you received: 51
Harpdoctor wrote:

Interesting to hear you have the words to your song.

In that case, I would suggest using the words as template for the melody. Tabbing might still be useful for reference - for structural proposes, you'd only need a core melody tab, without any embellishments.

You could try looking at your lyrics as if it were a poem, and consider various written structure.

For example, something like a limerick:

1 If Judy wants to travel, she'd better go by car

1 If she insists on walking, she won't get very far

2 It would be really fab

2 If she just called a cab

1 That's the only way that Judy will make it to the bar

So just having two variants can lead to a nice section, which you can then repeat and maybe link with turnarounds, perhaps break the routine with a solo session,  etc etc

Hope that helps

(Incidentally I hope for my sake that Judy is not a real person :) )
Time to create page: 0.185 seconds