Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Thoughts on January's Song for the Month

Thoughts on January's Song for the Month 1 year 11 months ago #2239

• Marcy
  • Thank you received: 76
Hope everyone had a very happy Christmas! I sure did. If you think you'd be interested in participating in the Song-A-Month threads over the next few months, would you take a second to let me know which format you'd like best? The choices are...
1. Two new songs each month in two different styles like we did in October and November.
Pros of this are we all learn the same tune and can offer advice on tricky parts or find helpful recordings. Cons are if the chosen tune is beyond your ability or in a style you don't feel you can add to confidently, you're not excited about participating for the month.
2. A theme related thread such as the one we did for holiday tunes.
Pros of this are we get a variety of songs demonstrated on a variety of harmonicas and everyone can choose a tune on their level that they'd be hoping to learn soon anyway. Cons are we'd have to find our own tab and examples.

I'd enjoy either format so am just putting this out there to see what everyone else prefers. Nothing's permanent of course, so we can also switch back and forth if we want to. Let me know your thoughts ASAP so we can get going on January's tune.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Thoughts on January's Song for the Month 1 year 11 months ago #2241

• spideryak
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I tend to favor the 1st option. That way it gives a choice of at least two songs to pick from.
Trying to look at various genre...Polka, swing, jazz, folk, jigs an reels, blues an country, rock ,doo wop, etc etc.

I'd be interested in most anything so pretty flexible to what ever format gets picked...
thanks
Happy New Year

Thoughts on January's Song for the Month 1 year 11 months ago #2246

• AndyT
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 69
I too favour the first. Perhaps we can alternate.
Option 1 January, option 2 February.

Andy

Thoughts on January's Song for the Month 1 year 11 months ago #2248

• Crawforde
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
I like the first as well. It is more restrictive, but that can be a good thing if it brings us to something we wouldn't have played otherwise. Plus it gives the more experienced members a chance to correct the rest of us. :)

Thoughts on January's Song for the Month 1 year 11 months ago #2251

• Harmlessonica
  • Thank you received: 51
I'd be happy with either format, but my preference would be the format which encourages as many members to participate as possible. For that reason, I think we should at least try the 2nd format for January and see how it goes.

I was initially disappointed with the 'free-for-all' December theme, but I was pleasantly surprised by the end of the month with the quality, quantity and variety of entries.

I'm hoping the greater freedom and flexibility of the themed format will encourage more entries, and avoid the (possible) impression that each member is somehow competing with better entries of a particular song.

Worth a try I say.

Thoughts on January's Song for the Month 1 year 11 months ago #2256

• TORUStheBULL
  • Thank you received: 1
I would prefer the first option.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.197 seconds