Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: song for chromatic harmonica

song for chromatic harmonica 1 year 8 months ago #2416

• Sarge
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 165
I know you have a song of the month, but have you ever had a song of the month just for chromatic? That would be a song that normally can't be played on a diatonic unless your Howard Levy. It would be a song that requires the use of the slide. I say that because a lot of folks that play a chromatic don't use the slide much. Blues players are notorious for using a chromatic in third position, never touching the slide. For instance a song like Up the Lazy River. I know I couldn't play that on a diatonic, but I'm pretty sure I could get it on a chromatic with the use of the slide. Just a thought, I don;t know how many here play the chromatic.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

song for chromatic harmonica 1 year 8 months ago #2417

• TORUStheBULL
  • Thank you received: 1
I strongly support this idea.. looking at this in connection with Eri's suggestion of the new topic "On the button", I think this is a great idea..
Strictly it does not have to be limited to Chromatics only. There are plenty of players out there who know how to do all the bendngs so it could be open for diatonic players as well.

song for chromatic harmonica 1 year 8 months ago #2418

• Sarge
  • Platinum Member
You bet, if a player can over blow and over draw and hit all the bends on a diatonic, let them have at it. There are folks that can do it, but I'm not one of them, I need that slide!!!!!!

song for chromatic harmonica 1 year 8 months ago #2420

• Crawforde
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Sounds like a great idea.
I wasn't able to play for a while, but as soon as I did the first harp I picked up was a chromatic.
This would also be good for the alternate tunings.
Last Edit: 1 year 8 months ago by Crawforde.

song for chromatic harmonica 1 year 8 months ago #2422

• AndyT
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 69
I'm not sure the Song for a Month exercise is 'restricted' to diatonic. So starting up an alternative one for chromatic only, and then including diatonics could just be duplicating effort.

Do it if you want, but just thought I'd say. There is a place for a chromatic only thread, obviously.

Andy

song for chromatic harmonica 1 year 8 months ago #2423

• Sarge
  • Platinum Member
I guess I'm going to have retract my statement and agree with Andy. If it is going to be done for chromatic it should be limited to just chromatic harmonicas.
Time to create page: 0.174 seconds