Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Jazz Harmonica.

Jazz Harmonica. 1 year 7 months ago #2882

• Lithy
Sorry everyone. Originally put this topic in the wrong subject matter "Tab request". Thought I might get more response here. Thanks. Lithy.

"Hi everyone.

I want to branch out into Jazz. I have purchased a Hohner Chromonica 270.

I was hoping one or more of you could head me in the right direction of where to start in regard to good learning books/DVD's beginners through to advanced."

Cheers.

Lithy.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Jazz Harmonica. 1 year 6 months ago #2933

• Eric33
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 57
Hi Lithy, I gather your harmonica is a 12 hole chromatic.A perfect start.I want to welcome you to the website,I see that no one has replied to your Jazz Harmonica Topic so I thought that someone should.You will see from my profile that I have been playing a Chromatic for quite a few years now. You don't say whether or not you can read music.
I would first advise you to get a Chromatic Chart,you will find this very useful.The next thing is to try to obtain a booklet or magazine by Tommy Riley with a CD inside teaching you step by step on how to play the Harmonica.I am sure there are others of a similar nature where you are.Inthe meantime if I can help you in any way,you know where to find me.Eric33.

Jazz Harmonica. 1 year 6 months ago #2934

• Crawforde
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Regarding the chromatic chart you can find an interactive one online here:
www.overblow.com/?menuid=26&type=chrom#
Highlight the key of your instrument on the far left and it will map out your holes for you. Chose another key and it will show you the pattern to play whichever scale you choose. It is a pretty nice tool!

Jazz Harmonica. 1 year 6 months ago #2935

• Lithy
Hi Eric33.

Thanks for your reply and a thank you for welcoming me to the website.

In answer to some of your queries ...Yes it is a 12 hole chromatic and I can't read music but I can play diatonic harmonica quite well after 2&1/2 yrs.
.I certainly will look into your advice. Was funny... I was going to purchase online a book by Tommy Riley and the only one I could find was out of Japan, so assume it is all in Japanese, as Japanese writing on the cover.

Will keep searching for books. There is one "Jazz Standards" from Hal Leonard Play-Along's, could be useful. But will visit the music shops around Perth WA to review before I buy. Will get a Chromatic Chart on your advice. Could possibly be part of the learning books.

Again thanks very much for your input on this matter and your offer of assistance down the track.

Regards.

Lithy.

Jazz Harmonica. 1 year 6 months ago #2938

• Dexer
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 74
Just to clarify...you say you want to branch out into jazz and you have a Hohner 270...But I'm not sure if that means you are completely new to the chromatic or if you are new to jazz.

If you are new to the chromatic, you can just jump right in with tabs from Slidemeister. Other sites (like harptabs) have chromatic tabs but you need to search for them. All of the tabs at Slidemeister are chromatic. And, if you look in the "S" section, you'll find a variety of scales courtesy of Henry who is also a member here.

Look through the tabs and find something that appeals to you and give it a try. You'll find that playing the scales is actually harder than playing the songs.

www.slidemeister.org/chromatic-tabs.html

Jazz Harmonica. 1 year 6 months ago #3021

• Lithy
Thanks Dexer. Will follow your suggestions.

Cheers.

Lithy.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.172 seconds