Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Favorite Songs

Favorite Songs 1 year 3 months ago #4281

• harpsquealer
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Everyone,
Many of the songs in the "Song of the Month" thread are ones I don't know. This gave me the idea that it was time to expand my listening repertoire, and what better way to find harmonica music than from harmonica players!

I thought that an interesting thread for everyone would be a "Favorite Songs" thread where we could share our favorite songs and share great music we may have missed. It doesn't even have to be a favorite song; a song you liked and thought that it would be worth sharing is definitely post-worthy.

I guess I'll get the ball rolling by sharing a song from Charlie McCoy that I really like: Alten Moor. I've looked but I can't find a video of him playing it anywhere. Here is the spotify link if you use spotify: https://play.spotify.com/track/3ZJIe4B0CAKCCHQguwF1Nf. Here is the iTunes link if you like that: https://itunes.apple.com/us/album/celtic-dreams/id1004187794.

Keep on Harp Squealin'
harpsquealer
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Favorite Songs 1 year 3 months ago #4282

• harpsquealer
  • Thank you received: 2
I also wanted to include another song, Shenandoah by Charlie McCoy, but I couldn't add any more links. It's another song I like a lot because of McCoy's incredible tone and movement along the harmonica.

Keep on harpsquealin!
harpsquealer

Favorite Songs 1 year 3 months ago #4284

• Marcy
  • Thank you received: 76
Fun idea! When I heard Grant Dermody play Ruben's Train I was blown away. Love it! Check it out!

Favorite Songs 1 year 3 months ago #4285

• Harmlessonica
  • Thank you received: 51
harpsquealer wrote:
...Many of the songs in the "Song of the Month" thread are ones I don't know....

I have the same problem, and this is detrimental even if you do contribute because you don't have the advantage of being familiar with the song in the first place. I guess I'm also partly to blame though as I have yet to offer suggestions of my own.

However, I'm happy enough to go ahead and work on my own 'in-progress' tunes and share them here.

For future projects, I'm thinking of Charlie McCoy's Stone Fox Chase which is a classic many of you probably already play well. I know the first part of this (it's the tune I learnt bending on), but I definitely want to try and learn more of it.

Favorite Songs 1 year 3 months ago #4286

• Harmlessonica
  • Thank you received: 51
When I first started to learn the harmonica, my brother constantly bugged me to play the theme to one of his favourite shows, The Rockford Files (harmonica by Tommy Morgan).

I told him it's on my to-do list...

Favorite Songs 1 year 3 months ago #4287

• Marcy
  • Thank you received: 76
Yeah, for the last few months, I haven't even heard any of the winning tunes before tackling them, but it's kind of nice in one way because a few have become favorites and I'd never have found them otherwise. And I hope by now everyone's aware that we sure don't expect polished performances on song of the month tunes.
Definitely suggest any of these tunes for song of the month if you think they're standards in the genre and are doable in a month. We'd love to get your ideas in there. Of course, I suggested Ruben's Train above and it got one vote, mine! So you never know how democracy will go.
Time to create page: 0.190 seconds