Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Blues Scale in 4 positions

Blues Scale in 4 positions 1 year 2 months ago #5334

• erk
  • Thank you received: 9
Hi,

Been learning and memorizing the blues scale in 1st, 2nd, 3rd, and 4th position. Here is a layout, in scale degrees, of the blues scale in those positions. Hope someone finds it useful.

Regards,
ERK
Attachments:
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Blues Scale in 4 positions 1 year 2 months ago #5336

• Sarge
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 179
I looked at that, but didn't understand it at all. I guess I have to hear something before I can play it.

Blues Scale in 4 positions 1 year 2 months ago #5347

• erk
Sarge, and others, sorry for the lack of explanation. Let me see if I can better explain what I am trying to share.

The graphics shown in the pdf file are representative of a diatonic harmonica the left end being 1 hole right end being the 10 hole. I have updated the diagram from my earlier post.

When I speak of scale degrees I am associating a note with a number so on a 'C' harmonica and an 'A' harmonica the scale would look like this:
C D E F G A B C
A B C# D E F# G# A
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 1 - scale degrees
The number one note is the root note. I have highlighted these in red on the diagram.

Here is the Blues Scale on a C harmonica and on an A harmonica in second position, (the most popular blues position), the scale degrees is noted below the scales.
G Bb C Db D F G
E G A Bb B D E
1 f3 4 f5 5 f7 1
Once you get used to it you will find it is much easier to think in scale degrees because you don't have to remember the notes on all harmonicas.
This is why my 1st -- 4th position diagram is labeled in scale degrees.

To play the Blues Scale across all octaves you tab out the scale degree positions on the harp. You do not have to remember notes only numbers. Here is the tabbing for second position blues on the low octave applied to any key harmonica.
1 f3 4 f5 5 f7 1
2d 3' 4b 4' 4d 5d 6b -- the (") double bend and (') single bend.

As you move up to other octaves apply the same idea noted above.
The intent of my post was to present info on the blues scale played in different positions but, thanks to Sarge, I see that it wasn't all that informative because of my use of scale degrees. I hope I have cleared this up.

For those not familiar with, "positions", check out this website.
www.harmonicablues.willtang.co.uk/the-ne...-out-keys-positions/
Attachments:
Last Edit: 1 year 2 months ago by erk.

Blues Scale in 4 positions 1 year 2 months ago #5348

• Crawforde
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 14
Thanks ERK!
I have started trying to think in scale degrees myself. It is less confusing once you break through the initial resistance.
Not only can you forget about learning the notes for a minute but it makes moving around the cycle logical.
From C to F, flatten the 7th then make 4 the new 1, from F to Bb same thing....
There really is a pattern. Eventually I may even remember the notes.
Am I the only one who didn't know this until recently?

Blues Scale in 4 positions 1 year 2 months ago #5368

• Whiskat
  • Premium Member
Scale degrees is a great way of thinking, it's actually a little strange that we don't use it more in the harmonica world, being diatonic players it allows for great transcription from one harp to another.

Blues Scale in 4 positions 1 year 2 months ago #5408

• spideryak
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 58
I know I'm not the brightest bulb, but when I talk with others, they will say give me an A or whatever note they want by name.
If I'm talking with teacher and I have a C harp, he will say give an "A" for example he will expect me to know where it is, but I am weak on the other keys. I can figure it out but in reality he wants me to know the name of all the notes I'm playing...just like he does.
(course that is why he is the teacher and I am the student, I guess)

On the other hand people learn in many ways, so if notes in degrees works...all the better.
after all the more you know...um the more you know...and can put it to good use ideally.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.252 seconds