Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Bending beginner

Bending beginner 1 year 1 month ago #5923

• johno77
Well after a good few months of solid practising, I finally managed to hit the elusive (for me) 3''' and 2''. Although I'm in the process of trying to hit them directly. I have been scooping into them, and checking my results using Androids INS tuner. They sound a wee bit 'foghorny', I'm just wondering if thats the sound I should be looking for...Obviously I need a heck of a lot more control over my tongue, palette etc, but I just want to know if I'm on the right track before I continue.
I'm not that familiar with forums, so I might have have posted this on the wrong category...apologies for that
Cheers
Last Edit: 1 year 1 month ago by johno77. Reason: think I may have posted on wrong category
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bending beginner 1 year 1 month ago #5924

• keith
  • Thank you received: 132
To my mind you will never get a bent note to sound exactly like a true note, so if your tuner is saying that you are getting the right frequency/note, then I'd say you're there, but I'm only in the very beginning of my 'harp playing, I hope more experienced players will chime in. :)
The following user(s) said Thank You: johno77

Bending beginner 1 year 1 month ago #5925

• Marcy
  • Thank you received: 76
Hey, good job on figuring that out! From what I've heard from some pretty accomplished musicians, bending a note is only the beginning. Improving accuracy and tone on those bent notes is a process you can expect to be working on for months and years. But, on the bright side, it can be pretty incredible when it's done well. Here's a recording that can give you an example.

Bending beginner 1 year 1 month ago #5926

• Suave_Blues_Man
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 21
Howdy Y'all,

(Marcy, please check yor PM.)

Here's an article from Adam Gussow:

www.modernbluesharmonica.com/bending.html

In my case I had met a friend at work who played a very clean harp; i.e. clean, clear notes with good timing and good tone.Straight harp. I complimented him on his style and then I blew several notes with some bluesy bending. His eyes got wide and he said "I wanna play like THAT!"

When we used to have audio capability (here at HC) there was always someone forcing out notes in an attempt to bend. Truth be known a note can be produced in many ways. That note can be clean, dirty, Chicago, Texan, jamming or just joking around. Do you 'feel' the note? Then it's a good note.

The late Norton Buffalo emphasized filling your "bag of tricks" with riffs, chord lines, bends and personal techniques to carry through an idea or to augment the phrasing in either your solo play or backing up another player or instrument.

When you're 'wood shedding', (practicing), what tunes are you covering or playing with? Try playing along with Mickey Raphael here - (Use an A harp)

Note that there is minimal bending. It accents the piece without overpowering the other performers.

Nice tune, too!

Be Blues...And Jazz,

Suave Blues Man

Bending beginner 1 year 1 month ago #5927

• Reed Smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Harmonicas can only play the way they are tuned.

Bending beginner 1 year 1 month ago #5928

• johno77
Thanks for the encouraging words Marcy, I am under no illusion and am not exactly doing sommersaults of joy, as I know there's a lotta work ahead, but when started trying bending, I thought everyone else must be using a different type of harmonica than me, or maybe they've sent me a 'shop soiled' harp from the online store. All untrue of course
As for 'Wabash Cannonball'....a delight to the ears

Thanks
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.204 seconds