Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Solo Tuned Piano Man

Solo Tuned Piano Man 9 months 1 week ago #6711

• Dexer
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 75
Well, this was an interesting exercise.

I was thinking about the tab for Piano Man after I posted a link for a newbie last week. I wanted to do some more work with this solo tuned Orchestra S that I got from Sarge (I don't want him to think I just hang these on the wall as part of my collection). Some "conventional" tabs translate well to a solo tuned harp with just a note or two changed. I decided to see how things worked with Piano Man.

I have to give credit to "Norm" who posted a tab on harptabs almost 13 years ago (based on the date on the tab...that was LONG before I got into harp). I figured I'd speed things up by using his basic arrangement. I thought I might have to change just a few notes. In fact, the solo tuned tab that I came up with is 75% different from Norms. Very little is shared between the two tabs. Here's a link to what I started with:

www.harptabs.com/song.php?ID=25

After reworking it with my Seydel Orchestra S, I got this version which uses a LOT of the harp (from hole 1 to hole 9):

5 5 5 5 -4 4 -4 4 3

3 3 3 3 3 3 -3 -3

5 5 5 5 -4 4 -4 4 3

1 1 -1 -4 -4 4 3 3

9 9 9 9 9 -8 8 -8 8 7

7 7 7 7 7 -7 -7 -7

8 -8 9 9 9 9 -8 8 -8 8 8 8

7 7 7 8 -8 8 7 7

-5 -5 -5 -6 6 -6 -6

-5 -5 -6 6 -6 -5 5

9 9 9 9

-8 8 -8 8 7

-5 6 6 6 -7 -7

8 8 9 9 9 9 -8 8 -8 8 7

7 -5 7 7 -8 8 7 7

Here it is on the Orchestra S. (All photos taken by me within walking distance of my house in lovely Winnipeg...same girl at the start and end of the video; age 19 and age 52):

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Solo Tuned Piano Man 9 months 1 week ago #6712

• Sarge
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 166
Sounds good Dex. That gal didn't change much in 33 years.

Solo Tuned Piano Man 9 months 1 week ago #6715

• Harmlessonica
  • Thank you received: 51
Nice one, Dex, you gave that thing a good workout.

My limited knowledge of the Orchestra S is that it covers less range (2 and a half Octaves if memory serves) so it makes sense that you are having to traverse almost the full length of the harp.

And when is that woman going to realise what a great catch you are?!? ;)

Solo Tuned Piano Man 9 months 1 week ago #6717

• keith
  • Thank you received: 125
...especially with all those 'harps you could share..... ;)

Nice one, Dex. :)

Solo Tuned Piano Man 9 months 1 week ago #6718

• Dexer
  • Platinum Member
Harmlessonica wrote:
Nice one, Dex, you gave that thing a good workout.

My limited knowledge of the Orchestra S is that it covers less range (2 and a half Octaves if memory serves) so it makes sense that you are having to traverse almost the full length of the harp.

And when is that woman going to realise what a great catch you are?!? ;)

Yes. I found that when I was tabbing the song for the Orchestra S, I was "stretching" it out at the low end. Here's what i mean: Most of the 9 blows in Norms original tab remained as 9 blows when I re-tabbed it. In the mid range, the 5 and 6 hole notes dropped to 4 and 5. At the bottom of the harp, one line that was orignally tabbed as 3, 3, 3, was retabbed by me as 1, 1, -1.

And that woman knows I'm a great catch :). Short version: Neighbourhood girl I should have married 30 years ago but we had a ridiculous falling out in 1986. She married someone else; eventually became a grandmother but moved back to the neighbourhood with her husband and family after her father died a few years ago. She tells me now that she made a mistake and married a whiney drunk. I hate to "wish" for bad things but I think that marriage is about to crash and burn :)

Solo Tuned Piano Man 9 months 1 week ago #6719

• Dexer
  • Platinum Member
keith wrote:
...especially with all those 'harps you could share..... ;)

She was the source of a couple of old Hohner Auto-Valves that I photographed over the summer. They belonged to her father.

I admit it: I'm not above marrying a girl to get my hands on her harmonicas :) !

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.274 seconds