Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Big Walters Boogie

Big Walters Boogie 5 months 2 days ago #7538

• spideryak
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Just wondering did Big Walter Horton do longer versions of this song during his career ?
I see people doing various versions, I always kind of thought it was a bit of a tongue blocking milestone for players to try for.
So while working on learning the song I wondered how he played it himself and came across this, which is actually pretty straight forward..
..so wondering if he came up with extended versions or did it just morph on it's own over the years of people playing it ?
thanks
Last Edit: 5 months 2 days ago by spideryak.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Big Walters Boogie 5 months 2 days ago #7539

• Sarge
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 149

Big Walters Boogie 5 months 2 days ago #7540

• Reed Smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 47
I would venture he did play longer or shorter versions as the room dictated. The song kinda plays itself,
in that he is building from one riff to the next.

Big Walters Boogie 5 months 2 days ago #7543

• spideryak
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 48
Thanks both.

That film clip is awesome..it's really good quality that was a nice find.
It has far more than the one I had found...mostly I was breaking it down with the "lost toni" series ,and got to wondering...
.I did play it out one time, but think I wandered a bit to much from the main theme. Figured it was time spend some time with it and firm up what I'm doing or want to do..

Big Walters Boogie 3 months 1 week ago #8219

• roach
If you want a guy to break it down for you go to youtube Will Wilde he does a great job of breaking it down and teaching how to play it.

Big Walters Boogie 3 months 1 week ago #8221

• Reed Smith
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 47
@Roach/all Will is a smart player and excellent teacher, highly recommended.

@Spdr
Man I know what you mean about strayin' from the O, Sarge called a couple weeks ago to ask me about
Rod Piazza's "Little Bitty Pretty One/Rockin' Robin" medley, I was outside getting my boat ready to go fishin
and didn't have a harp on me but was able to tell Jim what key and position Rod was usin from memory cause
I play it. When I got back inside I picked up a harp and played it thru once and said yeah it's in A on a D 2nd pos.
My wife liked it, my co-worker and fishin' buddy ( who plays a bit) said it sounded good.
But, a couple days later Sarge posts the Piazza version here at the HC, not having listened to it in a while I did
and soon realized that what I play and what Rod was playin weren't the same. I listen to recordings with the band I play
with and often am amazed that although it sounds good, it isn't any thing like the original we learned it from. :dry:
A new drummer once asked my bass player about rehearsals, Don said we try to have them but when we can't, just
follow Pete.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.247 seconds