Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Chord & Bass Harmonicas

Chord & Bass Harmonicas 2 months 1 week ago #13877

Keith, since I was referring to "harmonica" events bass probably is expected to be the bass harmonica. There are many guitar players at SPAH but I think most, if not all, play harmonica too.

Dezzy, this "sticky" I thought all along would generate more interest and input on bass harmonica playing but alas it has been very limited. Either other bass players don't want to share or are not
here and/or interested to share in the first place.

Bass harmonicas are not "cheap" and I think contributes to some of the lack of
support this sticky gets. Bass players in general are a different lot to begin with. Bass is part of the percussion section and everybody wants to play the melody. A beginning bass harmonica like the Tombo and Easttop pocket basses cost $100+/-. The most popular bass is the double bass and even used ones are hard to find under $200. Nice used ones and re-furbished ones can run from $350-$750 or more. New Suzuki is $1100-$1200 and the new Hohner is around $1400. To have any presence in a trio or more the double basses have to be amplified and one must play close to the mic. Single reed chromatic basses like my Tombo Contra bass do not need amplification nor do the
pocket basses.

Practicing bass gets boring very quickly even for beginners like me, most likely due to no melody.
The next problem is finding someone to play with to fight the boredom. Playing with you gentlemen's input to this site is fine but there is no feedback. A bass player must read music and I
am coming along in this arena but still at a snail's pace. I can hardly wait to go a little faster, or a lot
faster.

I have a suspicion that young people who play drums might be the kid to look for as a future bass harmonica player. Since bass is part of the percussion section they will have the rhythm and just have to add the notes.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Suave_Blues_Man

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by tpbass.

Chord & Bass Harmonicas 2 months 1 week ago #13879

• dezzy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 200
Tbass, if at times you find playing the bass harmonica gets boring then you must enjoy playing it to stick with it. The bass harmonica is essential for good group. The bass, the chord and the solo chromatic. They make a team.
The following user(s) said Thank You: tpbass

Chord & Bass Harmonicas 2 months 1 week ago #13881

Dezzy,

They do make a team. My hope for the future is that the young people coming along see that too.
I try to interest as many as I can. Maybe even some will like the "old" music that we so love.

I like music from the last century. Not so much from this one although there is some that is ok. I hate Rap, no melody. Where is the joy in that? Country music still comes through with some decent songs. Wilson-Phillips has a great one called Release Me, not the old one but very good harmony and a nice melody. I also like Gravity by John Mayer. How about Grenade by Bruno Mars but I like the girls group Delilah that sang it on the sing off program. A cappella. Not to mention the sexy lead singer!! Did I really say that? Yep!

Last Edit: by tpbass.

Chord & Bass Harmonicas 2 months 1 week ago #13882

• keith
  • keith's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 212
I don't think many of this, & maybe the previous generation know much about chord & bass, it was in it's heyday in the 30/40/50s when the trios were on the radio & television - I haven't heard any since the 50s, except when I've gone looking for it - they need to be re discovered. :)

Chord & Bass Harmonicas 1 month 4 weeks ago #13935

If you were to attend a harmonica event and there was a bass seminar:
Would you go ?
What would you like to know about bass?
Would you participate even if you have played bass for a long time?
Would you contribute to the discussions?
Who are the manufacturers of basses and how many models do they produce?
Would you want to know where to find information on the bass harmonica?
Would you go if the presenter was not a well known player or instructor?
Would you go if you knew that a bass player really needs to know how to read music?
Would you go if you heard that in an hour you can learn to play bass in 5 keys?
Tell me about anything else that would make you want to attend the seminar.

Chord & Bass Harmonicas 4 weeks 2 days ago #14188

I thought that some of you would at least have an opinion on some or all of my questions. I am disappointed.
Two well known gentlemen are going to join me and 2 others from our club to do the seminar. It should be a good time. Time will tell.

If you have a bass remember to practice jumps. Four and five holes. Five holes root and fifth if you are going up the octave and four holes going down the octave.

Time to create page: 0.247 seconds