• Page:

TOPIC: "50 cents and a Box Top" Charlie McCoy

"50 cents and a Box Top" Charlie McCoy 3 months 4 weeks ago #12907

• spideryak
  • spideryak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 74
I just got a copy of Charlie McCoy's book that came out not long ago. (The title was the cost of his 1st harmonica)
Seems such a nice guy and I love his playing. I first saw it mentioned on another site so looked it up.
He wrote it with Travis Stimeling as co author.

Charlie Mc Coy is 77 I think it is, from the states but widely known and also has a couple of excellent cds from europe.
He's still active and playing in fine form. (same age as the fellow I take lessons from
Just thought I would mention it in case you're looking for some reading..nice stuff.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by spideryak.

"50 cents and a Box Top" Charlie McCoy 3 months 4 weeks ago #12911

• Sarge
  • Thank you received: 301
Charlie McCoy was at the Bean Blossom Blues Fest a few years ago. He'll sit with you and talk just like he's your neighbor. He's a very nice down to earth guy. Another nice young guy to sit and talk with is Jason Ricci. The professional harp players that I have met are all good folks. Our own Reed Smith (Pete) is among those folks. He's one of my favorite singer/harp players. I wish all of you could hear his cd.

"50 cents and a Box Top" Charlie McCoy 3 months 4 weeks ago #12918

I am but a humble guy who wanted to play harmonica, I wanted it very much. I searched every which way to Sunday looking/listening to every thing harmonica. I was blessed with the ability to sing, not great, but I had ability, I worked hard to develop both my harmonica and vocal chops. LISTENING is my key, yeah, I practice scales, positions, chordal structure, etc, but my ear is what I use to make the best of practice time.
My older brother played and recorded out of Capricorn Studios of Macon Georgia when I was coming up, I have met many people in the music/entertainment business, and most every one is just like you or me, raising families, working hard, and living life to the best of it. And there are A**holes, like every other walk of life. The Allmans were all nice guys, met Cher when Greg was dating her. Jaimo is a good friend to this day. Les Dudek is a neighbor and long time brother, I played with the "Legendary Jon Corneal and his Compadres" for a couple years, still sit in on occasion. I have met B.B. King (if I were a woman, I'd had his children), wonderfully kind gentleman,
John Lee Hooker gave my a picture button pin of himself in the kitchen of a dive he was playing in Tampa. My wife and I had dinner with "Little Charlie and the Nite Cats" Charlie Baty, Rick Estrin, June Core, and Ronnie James Webber, the gig was a blast too. Kim Wilson will literally talk your ear off, was super nice to me, but I've heard rumors to the contrary, to which I attribute to a bad day.
It is out there, seek it.

"50 cents and a Box Top" Charlie McCoy 3 months 4 weeks ago #12919

• dezzy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 154
I'm too old to get over and meet those people, perhaps you, Reed Smith, some time in the Chat room -- maybe.

"50 cents and a Box Top" Charlie McCoy 3 months 4 weeks ago #12920

• spideryak
  • spideryak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 74
I like in the Charlie McCoy book how he wants to be a young rock n roller when he was growing up,..hard to imagine.
He's actually credited for playing multiple instruments...sax and what not as well.

"50 cents and a Box Top" Charlie McCoy 3 months 3 weeks ago #12922

• trev
  • Thank you received: 3
Can't you upload the cd to YouTube sarge we would all like to hear Reed .

I'd like to give this a read I like biographies anyway

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.277 seconds