• Page:

TOPIC: Matilda statue

Matilda statue 2 weeks 3 days ago #15041

• spideryak
  • spideryak's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116
Remember a year or so ago there was a big flair up over the Waltzing matilda song. esp after a fellow did a mighty rough job of it and we learned what the Australian song was about if I remember correctly
however
Here in the states I was clueless as I always thought that Matilda was the name of a woman who waltzed.
So today I read about the little girl named Matilda was an inspiring british girl who stood her ground and persevered over bullies or something to that effect.

so the made a statue of her and she is facing down a bully...but.. people from the states... might not like it as the bully is a well known american.

so not trying to stir the pot but it may be not that unusual that I thought Matilda was completely different than the Australian version

So here is the link.... and like I say it's not without controversy, so no need to feel complied to check it out.
a.msn.com/r/2/BBNMRS7?m=en-us&referrerID=InAppShare

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by spideryak.

Matilda statue 2 weeks 3 days ago #15042

• Sarge
  • Thank you received: 469
HA! That pretty good! That Matilda has nothing to do with the song Waltzing Matilda. The song is an Australian bush ballad about traveling. The title was Australian slang for travelling on foot (waltzing) with one's belongings in a "matilda" (swag) slung over one's back. It's a story of an itinerant worker who gets in trouble for stealing a sheep.
Dezzy may be able to add more.

Last Edit: by Sarge.

Matilda statue 2 weeks 3 days ago #15043

• dezzy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 265

Sarge wrote: HA! That pretty good! That Matilda has nothing to do with the song Waltzing Matilda. The song is an Australian bush ballad about traveling. The title was Australian slang for travelling on foot (waltzing) with one's belongings in a "matilda" (swag) slung over one's back. It's a story of an itinerant worker who gets in trouble for stealing a sheep.
Dezzy may be able to add more.

No,Sarge, you covered it. Waltzing Matilda was carrying on foot the pack of belongings called affectionately Matilda. One story has the daughter of a landholder going away with one of the shearer’s . Life on the road was too tough for her and she died. The shearer buried her then picked up her swag and said You’ll come a Waltzing Matilda with me. Meaning he would walk off carrying her belongings.

Matilda statue 2 weeks 3 days ago #15044

• dezzy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 265
Spideryak, yes Richard Armstrong and I both had a go at someone slaughtering our sacred Australian song. Richard was not in best of health but was well into playing harmonicas. He dropped out of the forum so I think he died.
Australia held a referendum on choosing our National anthem and Waltzing Matilda was high on the choices. Only the lyrics didn’t suit an anthem. But it is still a rousing song getting a roaring chorus when sung.

Matilda statue 2 weeks 3 days ago #15046

• Sarge
It has been one of my top favorite songs since I was a kid!!!

Matilda statue 2 weeks 3 days ago #15047

• Sarge

dezzy wrote: . Richard was not in best of health but was well into playing harmonicas. He dropped out of the forum so I think he died.

You never know Dezzy. He may have got a girlfriend and is too busy for forums. I would be pleased to see him posting again.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.324 seconds