Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bad Taste in Movies?

Bad Taste in Movies? 1 year 10 months ago #1740

• Dexer
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 75
This could be in the "Other Hobbies" thread but...

My harmonica evening practice time interferes with my movie time so I often put on the subtitles of a movie so I can do some harp practice and watch a flick at the same time. This works best with foreign films and silents but I do it with all kinds of movies. The silent German epic DIE NIBELUNGEN is long enough to learn how to bend and tongue block.

I'm a huge movie fan with an embarrassingly large collection of Blu-ray Discs (several hundred). These are the high definition discs that are much superior to DVDs (especially for big TVs). I informally catalogue my collection by photographing my discs in groups of 15 and putting the images on photobucket. Though I do have a database list, looking at the cover art makes it easier for me to recall my discs. Personally, I don't think I have bad taste...just unusually broad taste. Combined with the fact that I tend not to buy movies that are easily found on TV, this gives me a rather odd collection.

Not a lot of people would be fans of BIRTH OF A NATION and ROLLER BOOGIE. Who owns both CALIGULA and THE INCREDIBLE MR. LIMPET?

I'm really a huge fan of musicals and horror movies :). I imported the Japanese release of NIGHT OF THE LIVING DEAD and I bought the Italian release of GILDA because I'm and obsessive Rita Hayworth fan. I can sing every song in SOUTH PACIFIC and I have two copies of BYE BYE BIRDIE.

So I just thought I'd throw this topic out there for anybody interested in film and/or home theater.

The administrator has disabled public write access.

Bad Taste in Movies? 1 year 10 months ago #1741

• Dexer
  • Platinum Member
I'm going to post two more photos here (the system won't allow me to post more than two in my first post).

Bad Taste in Movies? 1 year 10 months ago #1742

• Harmlessonica
  • Thank you received: 51
Great to see this brought up again! I think this is what I would have been like - if I never got married... :)

I used to have a large VHS video collection, which was then replaced by DVD but by then I was married and had other priorities, both in terms of time and finances.

My interest in home cinema surround sound is probably the only hobby I had when single which survived the marital meltdown (perhaps because my wife doesn't like the look of speakers, but loves the sound). This meant I still invested some time and money in the short lived HD DVD, then some blu rays - though they were ridiculously expensive when first released.

This led to upgrading my AV receiver to decode digital surround sound, which inevitably led to a full 7.1 speaker setup.

The irony for me is that many of the films I like are films from the 70's or earlier, which you'd be lucky to find in stereo, let alone 7.1!

I think the only true 'bad taste' is if someone only watches one type of movie to the point of obsession, but having a broad taste is like having a balanced diet. Nothing wrong with the occasional meal of junk food...

I love the idea of playing harmonica while watching a movie. I do that occasionally, often with westerns, it's like having live backing.

Collections like this are great because you might uncover a gem that you would otherwise never even had heard of.

If only there was a local Dexer near me... ;)

Bad Taste in Movies? 1 year 10 months ago #1746

• Dexer
  • Platinum Member
Harmlessonica wrote:

My interest in home cinema surround sound is probably the only hobby I had when single which survived the marital meltdown (perhaps because my wife doesn't like the look of speakers, but loves the sound). This meant I still invested some time and money in the short lived HD DVD, then some blu rays - though they were ridiculously expensive when first released.

This led to upgrading my AV receiver to decode digital surround sound, which inevitably led to a full 7.1 speaker setup.
If only there was a local Dexer near me... ;)

Interestingly, it's my recent interest in upgrading my audio that made me think of this topic. I have an "almost 7.1" system....which is to say that I have a 7.1 AVR but I ran out of speakers and wire so it's only a 6.1 system :). However, like you, my interest is mostly older movies which makes a 7.1 sytem more for show.

The problem with my sound system is that the wiring dates back to my early DVD days when I had very rudimentary capability with electronics. My speaker cables (if you can call them that) are 16 guage wires twisted together, wrapped with electrical tape and run under the carpet! In recent times, I have significantly improved my skills and equipment with high quality gear such as professional grade wire stripping and crimping tools. Plus, the convenience of amazon makes it easy to shop for all kinds of wire, banana plugs and other supplies. Youtube tutorials cover subjects like making your own cables. So I'm thinking it's time to pull up the old wire from under the carpet and do some proper cable runs. I can get more cables in place for a full 7.1 system plus a couple of extra cables for possible future use.

I have no serious movie buff friends nearby but, very fortunately, my old school buddy lives next door and he has a 3D TV set (I don't) so we can occassionally watch an old 3D classic like CREATURE FROM THE BLACK LAGOON.

Here's another peek at my collection. Hmmm....THE TEN COMMANDMENTS next to SCHOOLGIRL HITCHHIKERS? What kind of freak...?

Bad Taste in Movies? 1 year 10 months ago #1747

• Harmlessonica
  • Thank you received: 51
Dexer wrote:

Here's another peek at my collection. Hmmm....THE TEN COMMANDMENTS next to SCHOOLGIRL HITCHHIKERS? What kind of freak...?

Heh, that's what shuffle play is all about!

Not a huge fan of 3D movies, but they are cool to watch occasionally. Last year I bought a new projector which is a budget one but is 3D capable, I'll hopefully test that features out sometime soon.

The whole debate over quality wiring is a tricky one - spend too little and you lose out, spend too much and you'll waste money and maybe not even notice the difference. To a large extent it depends on the quality of your speakers also. I tend to go for the cheapest oxygen free copper wiring I can find.

But that's one of the great things about the hobby; you can slowly upgrade as and when you can. My budget AV receiver has a 7.1 decoder but only 5.1 amplification. So I am using my old 5.1 analog amp to power the extra set of speakers. :)

Bad Taste in Movies? 1 year 10 months ago #1752

• george
  • Thank you received: 3
Man, would it be nice if when watching the old movies you could make a list of those with neat harmonica backgrounds. Then we could watch for the listen and learn as well as be entertained. (however, I'm not sure if the harmonica comes through on sub-titles, eh?)
Geo.
Time to create page: 0.248 seconds