Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Bad Taste in Movies?

Bad Taste in Movies? 2 years 7 months ago #2036

• Dexer
  • Dexer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 80
Hey, Swapan, I'm sure I'll be getting some more electronic gizmos for my harp in the future. I need all the help I can get :). A little bit of technology can't hurt.

Harmlessonica, I'll get a picture of those stands...a bit awkward at the moment because my living room is full of Xmas decorations but I'll get it done.

Yeah, it's obvious that the original cable I was using for the subwoofer had NO shielding. It was little more than 1/8" thick! Again, I honestly do believe I was under the influence of post surgery drugs at the time of the initial installation. The quality of wokmanship was very poor. In the last year, I have resolved to make a significant upgrade in my wiring and general electrical capabilities. For a long time, I've had a significant investment in MECHANICAL and wood-working tools and the ability to use them but my electrical tools and skills have been weak. However, this year I have upgraded to a modern, high quality multimeter, insulated screwdrivers, proper pliers and stripping tools, circuit tracer, a ratcheting crimping tool and a good selection of quality connectors. I even put a Klein clamp meter on my Xmas wishlist. Now I can fix all that Rube Goldberg stuff before my house burns down.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Bad Taste in Movies? 2 years 7 months ago #2039

• Dexer
  • Dexer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 80
Here's a picture of one of my speaker stands...and nobody is allowed to make fun of my 1970's green shag carpet.

I pulled it away from it's normal position and put it on a grey rug so the detail is more visible.

The base and the upper speaker shelf are made from MDF. The central post is a lacquered steel tube that is normally used to suspend ceiling fans. I got the tubes on sale for about $3.00 each. The MDF pieces are painted with black "crinkle" paint. You can see the route of the speaker wire as it enters the base, goes up the tube and then exits at the back of the speaker shelf. I had to drill the holes larger to accomodate the 12AWG wires. Also, I had to use a file to open up the radius where the wire turned to go up the tube and then turned to exit the tube into the speaker shelf. This allows the wire to make gentle turns rather than having to stress it with a hard 90 degree bend.

The stands themselves are 26" high. The speakers are another 10 3/4" high so the whole unit stands just under 37" tall. The speakers are fastened in place with double sided mounting tape which is very strong but not permanent so that the speakers can be replaced or upgraded. The speakers currently on the stands are Polk Audio R150s.

Bad Taste in Movies? 2 years 7 months ago #2040

Excellent work, Dex - neat and professional.

I have always preferred stands for speakers, but my wife insisted I mount them on the wall so they don't look obtrusive.
The main problem with that is now the main speakers aren't at eye level which isn't ideal.

Thanks for taking the trouble to photograph them, hope you don't have to recalibrate once you put the speaker back...

Bad Taste in Movies? 1 year 9 months ago #5759

Wow. I haven't thought about Raise the Titanic in ages. I loved that movie.

(Edit: This didn't go where I was expecting. I thought I had clicked the right button to make it thread under the original post that spawned the reply, but apparently I did not, or that isn't possible.)

Last Edit: by pcguyiv.
Time to create page: 0.241 seconds