• Page:

TOPIC: Old School Hi-fi

Old School Hi-fi 2 years 7 months ago #1944

• Dexer
  • Dexer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 80
I lost a post here earlier too. I think I hit "Cancel" instead of "Preview"!

Oh man...I'm loving this old gear! I did a bit more work to clean the selector switch mechanism which I read is well known for causing some "crackle" problems. This thing is amazing. Maybe it's the placebo effect. Maybe I've been listening to so much music on Youtube and my Mp3 player that I forgot what real sound is. Somebody asked me this morning if I would consider selling it. I said "SURE" without hesitation. I'm not an old stereo gear collector and I could use $600.00 (or so) for better things. But that was 10 hours ago. Now, I've given it a full cosmetic restoration and a cleaning of some internal mechanical parts (you wouldn't believe the number of MOVING parts in this thing). I've got the old Technics CD player hooked up and this is all sounding like a dream. No way, I'd sell it now.

And it looks beautiful in the living room. It sits atop an old "waterfall" desk from the late 1940's (got it from my Grandmother's place after her death many years ago). Ironically, it sits a few feet from my Sony home theater receiver. That Sony now looks like crap with it's stamped sheet metal case.

I was just running through the tracks on an old Neil Sedaka CD. Even though I'm a child of the 70's, I've always been an early pop/doo wop fan first and foremost. Neil took me back to the days when I drove my 455 Trans Am and still had my prostate :).

I'm not too sure how power ratings are measured. Like I said, I'm not really an audiophile. The Sansui is nominally rated at 110 watts per channel. That's small by modern standards but it was a powerhouse in the 1970's. However, when I play music through it, even at the bare minimum volume, it almost blew me through the picture window. The power meter reads from just under .05 watts up to 200 watts. If I just barely unpeg the volume from the lowest setting, this thing is booming before the power meters hit that .05 watt mark. I guess I need some big, equally old-school giant speakers to use that power.

That previously mentioned old girlfriend actually offered me a couple of big old speakers last summer. I turned down the offer but now I'm thinking I should check back and see if she still wants to get rid of them. I can set my living room up as a full retro, 1970's disco lounge :).

Bonus pic: My Corvette and the old girlfriend (age 21). She's now a grandmother! I still have the 'Vette but it hasn't been roadworthy for many, many years.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Old School Hi-fi 2 years 7 months ago #1954

Great post, Dex. Lovely piece of retro gear.

I was always intrigued with surround sound (ie placement effects) but never quite got that coveted audiophile status. Those people would never play stereo music through an AV surround amp. And I never had the cash for the gear I really wanted anyway.

At the time when I first pined for hifi equipment, it would always be based on looks primarily. In those days, the LED panels had colourful VU meters, spectrum analysers and physical graphic equaliser sliders. Nowadays everything is a black box...

No school like the old school, eh?

Old School Hi-fi 2 years 7 months ago #1960

• Dexer
  • Dexer's Avatar Topic Author
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 80
Another old school hi-fi observation from my trip to the mall today...

We know that vinyl has been having a small revival in recent years. It's popularity isn't enough to challenge downloads or CDs but LPs are easier to find now than they were 15 years ago. I guess the hipsters have taken a real liking to vinyl because I've noticed something odd at the mall in the last month. A new "Sunrise Records" opened up with a lot of vinyl records and turntables. Today, I noticed another place with a good selection of LPs and a huge selection of turntables...I mean HUGE...I haven't seen that many turntables in one store since 1980.

I looked at a reissued copy of the 1977 Fleetwood Mac album RUMOURS. It was $30.00! Oddly enough, I have an original, sealed pressing of RUMOURS from 1977. In '77, I was acquainted with a popular local radio disc jockey. One of the regional music promotors mistakenly thought that I worked for the station (or maybe he just thought I was good for business...I don't know). He left me new copy of RUMOURS. Fact is, I wasn't much of a Fleetwod Mac fan so that album was never touched. It sits in my closet, in the original bag with the words, "Please give to Brent.( He will pick it up) from Lorraine Ky-58" ("Brent" being my real name).

My only regret is that Rumours sold about 50 million copies :). So, even though I have an untouched original pressing, I probably couldn't trade it for much more than a hamburger and large Pepsi.

Old School Hi-fi 2 years 7 months ago #1963

• keith
  • Thank you received: 182
Rumours is a great album, as are most of Fleetwood Macs recordings, you really should play it. ;)

Last Edit: by keith.

Old School Hi-fi 2 years 7 months ago #1965

keith wrote: Rumours is a great album...

...or at least that's what you heard. ;)

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.242 seconds