Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: the "Bends"

the "Bends" 1 week 5 days ago #10161

• spideryak
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 55
I used to think that only harmonica players were bending notes..till I got to thinking it through a bit..
so just starting to make up a list of instruments that bend notes...I'm thinking bending a note or bending the pitch are two separate things so there may be some overlap etc
...so lots of stringed instruments so i'll kind of take that as a given..though guitar certainly comes to mind....
...saxophone.....I asked a sax player...
...clarinet....( a reed instrument) as in the beginning of Rhapsody in Blue
...flute...this one surprised me quite a bit...so here's a link about it...thesession.org/discussions/31664

...that's as far as i got so far...
I think on harmonica we tend to stall when we want to bend to a particular note nice and clean right on target as in arpeggio style and tend to miss a lot of the bend ability of the instrument in general as being quite user friendly.

I'd be interested to hear of other instruments which employ various methods to "bend" a note that might be available...thanks
The administrator has disabled public write access.

the "Bends" 1 week 5 days ago #10162

• keith
  • Thank you received: 125
the beginning of Rhapsody in Blue
Could be wrong, but I thought that was a glissando...
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Glissando

...and looks like with the flute they are talking about a slur -
www.thoughtco.com/what-is-a-slur-2455916
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Slur_(music)

Guitars, ukes, etc, you can bend notes by twisting the string under your fingertip.
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by keith.

the "Bends" 1 week 5 days ago #10165

• spideryak
  • Platinum Member
Just got back , so I'll be checking out some more of it...just getting bits and pieces of info from the web and saw Rhapsody as an example.
Hope I don't get lost in the world of semantics...pretty sure bends are not unique to the harmonica though.
I've heard the expression of "scooping for a note" as well... for a vocalist they get points off their scores if it's competition...

On harmonica for example you can get all the available shallow bends simply by saying the word Wah on the inhale.
but you wouldn't want to wah wah all the time...that would be like a guitarist using the wah wah pedal all the time

I think Charlie McCoy spends all of about two minutes, if that much, on how to bend, ....others seem to make a career out of the subject...
Last Edit: 1 week 5 days ago by spideryak.

the "Bends" 1 week 4 days ago #10166

• dezzy
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62
Ah, yes. To bend a note on harmonicas is quite simple really. In fact some players do it without knowing. But the difficulty is to bend to an exact note when it is required.
As for guitars, can your wife bend notes?

the "Bends" 1 week 4 days ago #10168

• john_broecker
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29
Brass instruments, slide whistle, timpani, kazoo,
Theremin (spelling?), electronic keyboards,
synthesizers, single-headed drums (congas,
tom-toms, timbales, difficult on bongos) dumbeg,
"talking drums", tabla , flexatone, oop-goobi,
berimbau, probably many more.

jb
Last Edit: 1 week 4 days ago by john_broecker.

the "Bends" 1 week 3 days ago #10180

• spideryak
  • Platinum Member
I see there are a few instruments that I need to look up to see what they are...I like that...keeps the brain working I tell myself.

I was surprised to see various drums mentioned, a friend who is learning the Sitar, gave a little demo of the tabla drums his girl friend is learning and we could see he was sliding the palm of his hand across the drum head from time to time so that must be what he was doing for a bend.
(they are heading to India for 6 month hoping to learn their instruments better)

My wife on guitar is a "non bender" she leaves that for me. She plays very clean style. She's all about rhythm and timing right chord at the right time, various strumming patterns things like that. I get "the look" when I"m screwing up heh heh..
Usually harmonica is doing the fills between vocal lines, then improv solos on the harp..always trying to improve my accompaniment abilities so I can add more chords to help fill out the sound during vocals..always a work in progress...

now to look up some of the instruments..oop-goobi...think I'll start with that one...
Time to create page: 0.250 seconds