• Page:

TOPIC: Transcribing!

Transcribing! 7 months 1 day ago #10236

• Drifter
  • Drifter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Premium Member
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 29

dezzy wrote: Oh yes, transcribing. I do a little by learning to sing a tune, then pick it up by playing notes on the harmonica till I get a reasonable copy. I don’t know any way, but I’ve read of programs that produce tabs from recorded music. Have to search because I don’t remember where I saw it.

I don't know about producing tabs but I have tried a program called AudioScore Lite which will produce notation when used with Sibelius. I never had any success with it one reason being that it has difficulty when the recording you are trying to transcribe has been made with numerous different instruments. I think the answer is, if you are listening to a band or singer, is to memorise the tune then play it. I can usually play anything I know but trying to get the timing accurate to write down the notation I find almost impossible. I suppose if I practiced it more I would become better but it is not exactly something I enjoy doing. There is something to be said for a school teacher standing over you cracking a whip!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Transcribing! 7 months 1 day ago #10237

• keith
  • Thank you received: 173
Well, if you can play by ear, that should make it fairly easy to put down on paper. :)
Write the note names from the harmonica holes to paper, then decide how long they should be, whilst playing from what you have written.
Nothing worthwhile ever comes easily. ;)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page:
Time to create page: 0.219 seconds