Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Guidelines for Submitting Songs to the "Songs to Learn" Page

Guidelines for Submitting Songs to the "Songs to Learn" Page 3 months 2 weeks ago #11623

• JamesA
  • JamesA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 29
I've started building a " Songs to Learn " page. I intend to add songs I can play to the page for others to learn if they like them. I'm hoping that other members will submit songs and riffs to the page also. Some initial guidelines I'm suggesting are:

• Submission should include video footage of you personally performing the song
  • Submission should include tablature in the following format much like this tab for Beautiful Dreamer (try to associate the words and their syllables with the tab numbers so that new and current members find it easier to learn the song.
  • You should prepare your tab in "Note Pad" and attach your .txt file to the your forum topic when submitting.
  • You should submit your entry by posting a new topic in the Songs to Learn Project section of our forum. Post your YoutTube video in the body of the topic and add your tab file as an attachment.
  • Videos should be recorded in landscape mode (with your iPad on its side) as they will be displayed in landscape mode
  • New entries will be posted on the home-page of the club as a featured article (unless the submitter would prefer not)
We can divide the page into different categories as it develops (chromatic, diatonic, blues riffs, etc,..)
Please share any thoughts and ideas you have on this (I am editing this post to reflect members suggestions)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Last Edit: by JamesA.

Songs to Learn project 3 months 2 weeks ago #11624

• Sarge
  • Thank you received: 246
Sounds like a good project to me. . I won't be able to post any to learn because I can't tab out a song, but I can learn the ones posted by ear.
The following user(s) said Thank You: JamesA

Songs to Learn project 3 months 2 weeks ago #11625

• dezzy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116
OK for a good idea. But the use of the Plus sign is commonly dropped as it is granted it's a blow note. Are words to go with the tab. Use space to indicate longer note. I don't know about recording in landscape, need to check it out. Like to see your first example. Otherwise willing to try it.

Songs to Learn project 3 months 2 weeks ago #11627

• JamesA
  • JamesA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 29
Thats the idea Dezzy. As regards regulating the way members tab their songs, I'm mainly aiming for consistency. If you check out my tab for Beautiful Dreamer you'll see that I try to associate notes with the words and their syllables. When a member sends me tab, I'll transfer it to a text file so I can embed it in the page and it will display consistently irrespective of browser.

As for landscape mode. It just means that you should record your video with your iPad on its side, not vertical :)

Songs to Learn project 3 months 2 weeks ago #11628

• Dexer
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 80

JamesA wrote: I've started building a " Songs to Learn " page....

• Videos should be recorded in landscape mode, as they will be displayed in landscape mode

When I was starting out, I was very much helped by the songs to learn section of the original Harmonica Club. I welcome the return of this feature.

And double thank you for the landscape mode specification. Movies have been widescreen for over 60 years and TVs have been widescreen for over 15 years...i still cringe when I see a tall, skinny video standing upright in the middle of a screen.

Songs to Learn project 3 months 2 weeks ago #11631

• dezzy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 116
James, one other thing. Some tabs can take a fair bit of time. We don’t have a Save for later so it’s all in one sitting. Can we do a text file as in Notepad etc. or copy the file or use attachments?

Thanks I always use landscape.

Last Edit: by dezzy.
Time to create page: 0.276 seconds