Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Guidelines for Submitting Songs to the "Songs to Learn" Page

Songs to Learn project 9 months 5 days ago #11708

Tootler wrote:

Drifter wrote: I do not use TAB and would not encourage anyone to use it. I also do not use youtube so this project is a non starter for me. I have noticed Lesley on the chromatic forum using a new (at least to me) method of teaching tunes, You can view her work here:

I have a book of Bob Dylan songs from the 1960s which has something similar. It has the melody in lead sheet form with chords written above the notation in normal style but added is harmonica tab with the hole numbers and an up arrow for blow and down arrow for draw beside each number and written below the notes of the notation.

I don't know any free notation program that shows notation and harmonica tab but it there was such a thing then that would be the best option. The tab would only work on standard 10 hole diatonics but the notation would suit all harmonicas (and any other instrument come to that) In the back of my mind I seem to remember someone writing a plugin for ABC notation but I have not tried it. The advantage of this sort of thing is that it might wean beginners and harmonica players in general off tab which would be a good thing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Songs to Learn project 9 months 5 days ago #11711

• dezzy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 265
Drifter,get back to ABC notation.com. It is definitely the best way to share music as it applies to any musical instrument and hole layouts on harmonicas won’t be any problem. It means a player needs to know the name of the note in each hole being played. Only problem is that sharing requires other players to know the system. I wonder how many beginners who learn by TABs and listening actually know the name of the notes they play.

Songs to Learn project 9 months 5 days ago #11713

• dezzy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
James, I enjoyed Desperado and you have a good project going. I had to print out the tabs so I can play at leisure. However I don’t think your lessons to learn need as basic as those on your list. Many more modern songs are out of copyright. Anyway you showed how to beat youtube. And could Sound Cloud be used?

Songs to Learn project 9 months 5 days ago #11715

• JamesA
  • JamesA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 32

dezzy wrote: However I don’t think your lessons to learn need as basic as those on your list.

The list was only some examples. Members should choose they're own favourites to add.
I've also been thinking that we could ease up on the "public domain" rule.
We have good grounds here I think for claiming "fair use"
This is after all a non-profit educational site and none of the cover versions members produce are really monetizable (no offence guys :) )
Also: The content is not hosted at HarmonicaClub.com so we could actually leave this to the discretion of each member.
If a member gets a complaint from YouTube they will need to address that themselves. And if HarmonicaClub.com gets a complaint we will remove the content in question.

Last Edit: by JamesA.

Songs to Learn project 9 months 4 days ago #11721

• dezzy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
JamesA, pleased to see you dropped the plus sign on the 2 songs you just entered. Makes it quicker and more standard with the rest of the world.
Do you compose on this forum message area?
Do you use the BBCode on here?
I can’t get anywhere near what you get.

Songs to Learn project 9 months 4 days ago #11722

• JamesA
  • JamesA's Avatar Topic Author
  • Thank you received: 32

dezzy wrote: Do you compose on this forum message area?
Do you use the BBCode on here?
I can’t get anywhere near what you get.

I use a program called "Note Pad". Its a very basic text editor that comes on every PC.
You can prepare your tab on Note Pad and then save the file on your computer, it will be a .txt file.
You can then attach the file to a forum post like I have done here.
I dont know whether youre on a PC or Mac. But try to save and open the file thats attached to this post.
Right click it and click "save link as"
Attachments:
The following user(s) said Thank You: dezzy

Last Edit: by JamesA.
Time to create page: 0.255 seconds