Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Squid Jigging Grounds

Squid Jigging Grounds 2 weeks 2 days ago #14800

• Drifter
  • Drifter's Avatar Topic Author
  • Elite Member
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 58

Huff-N-Puff wrote: Thanks Drifter .. You have a nice setup. What confuses me isn't just playing along with a backing track, but how the mic audio is recorded along with the backing track. I'm thinking you might be playing the backing track in Reaper and playing along - while recording both as a second track?

Yes that is what I do. I put the backing track on one Reaper track and record on to a second track. If it is one of Lesley's tracks then there are usually three or even four repeats of the same tune so I will record all of the repeats and then select the best one. If the best one is not good enough I can record bits and insert them in until I get a good recording. With the set up I have I can use headphones to hear the backing track and myself playing without recording the backing track again or any other sounds (I might have a metronome going to keep time) When I have made a suitable recording I will "Render" all the tracks together to make the final MP3.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Squid Jigging Grounds 2 weeks 2 days ago #14801

• dezzy
  • Platinum Member
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 246
Huff-n-Puff, Audacity allows to record a backing track and then record a voice or harp playing. You need headphones to play while listening else the backing track is heard again. Audacity takes a little learning, but I worked it out so not difficult. However, I can’t get the backing track and harp properly. But others do it. Keith could help.

Squid Jigging Grounds 2 weeks 1 day ago #14804

Drifter wrote: Yes that is what I do. I put the backing track on one Reaper track and record on to a second track. If it is one of Lesley's tracks then there are usually three or even four repeats of the same tune so I will record all of the repeats and then select the best one. If the best one is not good enough I can record bits and insert them in until I get a good recording. With the set up I have I can use headphones to hear the backing track and myself playing without recording the backing track again or any other sounds (I might have a metronome going to keep time) When I have made a suitable recording I will "Render" all the tracks together to make the final MP3.

OK, I understand now ... Drifter. Thank You! Sometime down the road I might take a good look at the Reaper software, but for now I'll try Audacity. I found a source for converting & downloading videos as MP3s. YtMp3

dezzy wrote: Huff-n-Puff, Audacity allows to record a backing track and then record a voice or harp playing. You need headphones to play while listening else the backing track is heard again. Audacity takes a little learning, but I worked it out so not difficult. However, I can’t get the backing track and harp properly. But others do it. Keith could help.

OK, I have a small set of headphones by Grado Labs (sr-60) which I really like. They should do the trick.

I ordered a USB Mic today. I looked at quite a few, but this one was within my budget. I also used a coupon and saved a few bucks. :)

Amazon - Fifine K670
Here is a nice review on youtube of the - K670

I've also found a few Audacity tutorials on youtube. I'll sign up to soundcloud later on.

Thank You!

Last Edit: by Huff-N-Puff.
Time to create page: 0.240 seconds