Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Song-A-Month Group

Song-A-Month Group 2 years 1 month ago #856

• Marcy
  • Thank you received: 76
What would y’all think of adding a “Song-A-Month” Group? I’ve participated in a group like this over at the Mandolin Café for around five years now and it’s been such a great resource for learning tunes and developing friendships with other musicians.
Basically, members suggest tunes to put up for a vote and then the winning tune is learned and demonstrated in video clips by several members over the month. Members of all levels—from very new beginners to extremely advanced participate. It’s fun to see the songs played in lots of different styles and to get to know people through learning together.
What might work well here--if there’s interest—is taking around four tunes a month, each in a different genre. So, there could be a blues tune for the month, a folk tune for the month, etc. You could either do all of them or focus on the genre you enjoy best. The tunes suggested would be standards for the genre that you’d hopefully run into a lot when you’re out playing with other musicians.
Anyway, just thought I’d throw this out there and see what type of interest level there might be. I’m happy to help out in organizing and maintaining in any way needed.
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Song-A-Month Group 2 years 1 month ago #857

• Dexer
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 75
I'm in!

...Just as long as nobody laughs at me. I cry easily :).

Song-A-Month Group 2 years 1 month ago #859

• Marcy
I kind of thought you’d be up for it, Dexer. Definitely No laughing aloud. Actually, it’s a really relaxed atmosphere to the group at the Café. Because all the songs are new tunes, no one expects perfection. It’s just a chance to show where you’ve gotten so far and to pick up ideas from other musicians.

Song-A-Month Group 2 years 1 month ago #861

• keith
  • Thank you received: 125
Questions.
1) Will the tunes be supplied in tab form as well as notation?
2) Will tab be supplied for diatonic & chromatic?

I'm literally just trying to get to grips with the harmonica so can't even play a simple tune yet, but, if so, it could turn into a very useful resource.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Libdalla

Song-A-Month Group 2 years 1 month ago #862

• Marcy
The group I’ve been a part of begins each new song with a post announcing the winner along with tab, a few examples from YouTube, and whatever other useful information is available. On lesser known tunes, finding the information is sometimes a group effort.

Song-A-Month Group 2 years 1 month ago #863

• AndyT
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 69
I'm in.

Sounds like a good way to learn a song you wouldn't automatically choose.

Tabbing may be an issue, but it is a good way to learn ear training if we can't find any.

Andy
Time to create page: 0.224 seconds