Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Are we catering to your wants?

Are we catering to your wants? 2 months 3 weeks ago #7648

• keith
  • Thank you received: 69
On another thread, the question has come up about the choice of tunes.
So I wonder if you would like to have a say about the way we are going about these types of threads.
Feel free to comment about how you would like to see them evolve.

Would you like a monthly genre specific thread, or maybe a specific period of music?

I'm only at the stage of being able to get a recognisable tune out of my harmonicas, but I started up several threads elsewhere, mainly aimed at encouraging beginners to join in, but I also know how difficult it is to make that first recording & post it here. :)

Looking forward to hearing your opinions. :)
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Are we catering to your wants? 2 months 3 weeks ago #7649

• richardarmstrong
  • Elite Member
  • Thank you received: 54
Keith said:
"Personally , I prefer the Alphabet Challenge formula· , where we can pick· something that relates to that months theme· ."

I too prefer this topic· . It is fun· and motivating ! ! !
It gives everybody the freedom· to find· and choose· a tune· they like , to meet· the challenge· each month .
The only restriction· being the tune· starts with the letter· of the month and is limited to 2 tunes per month . . . . . .

The Alphabet Challenge motivates/challenges me to search· for a tune· that I would like to play· each month .
Also I believe· this topic· is attractive to competent players who do· not currently have· a primary place/topic to post· performances .

We all improve and encouraged to do· better by listening to other improved players .
Last Edit: 2 months 3 weeks ago by richardarmstrong.

Are we catering to your wants? 2 months 3 weeks ago #7651

• Dexer
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 64
I hope my other comments didn't come across as too critical. My real point was that, from a participation point of view, the song of the month choices aren't capturing the interest of many players. I don't want to harp on the subject (bad pun for comic relief :) ).

Of the songs picked this year, only one (The Kentucky Waltz, 1946) is less than 100 years old. And, they tend to skew heavily towards folk/rural tunes. I jave nothing against picking bales of cotton or Irish washerwomen but those don't seem to fire the imagination of a lot of harmonicists.

All that being said, the site really does cater to my wants just fine. If I'm not interested in a song in any given category, I can post my own random tune. I can post in the alphabet challenge. So this sytem works just fine for me.

Are we catering to your wants? 2 months 3 weeks ago #7652

• Squacks
  • Premium Member
  • Thank you received: 22
I think the site is great. I like both of those forums as well. I think an assigned couple of tunes is a good idea for learning new methods of playing. If I choose the tunes I tend to pick the same types of tunes and that will not advance my playing skills.
I started participating back in January and can say that I had never heard of most of the assigned tunes and had played none of them before. I believe that the lessons learned by attempting tunes one has never heard before, no matter what era they come from, are invaluable.
I am enjoying both forums and will continue to participate in both if possible. I believe they have different purposes and participating in both will make me a better player.
Thanks to the folks who oversee them!

Are we catering to your wants? 2 months 3 weeks ago #7653

• keith
  • Thank you received: 69
@ Dexer
No your post didn't sound critical to me, but I have been of the same opinion, personally, so I thought I'd ask everyone what they thought. :)

The main reason for the choices in the Monthly Challenge is because Marcy started it, & that is the kind of tunes she likes to play. ;)

(As noted elsewhere, my personal preference is to choose your own tune to fit in with a chosen theme.)

Are we catering to your wants? 2 months 3 weeks ago #7654

• Sarge
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 117
I think Squacks said it best!!
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.270 seconds