Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC: Hello I'm new

Hello I'm new 3 weeks 1 day ago #9970

Hi all
My name is Rachel. I'm a wheelchair user and have a serious lung condition. Ive been advised by my physician to learn to play the harmonica as it willl exercise my lungs and give them a good workout!
Im really enjoying it so far. I have a Hohner 20 in C. But really struggling to bend notes and am thinking of getting a chromatic instead.
Cheers
Lipflapper
The administrator has disabled public write access.

Hello I'm new 3 weeks 1 day ago #9971

• patcat
  • Thank you received: 2
Hi Rachel,
I’ve only been playing for about a year and a half now but I also started out with the Hohner 20 in the key of C. I tried to bend notes but no luck. I finally gave up and purchased an Easttop 12 hole chromatic from www.newharmonica.com/shopping/index.php?...ewProd&productId=389
I found this harmonica website on YouTube that shows you the tabs and you can play along www.youtube.com/channel/UCxuJZzpwJjJ_lCUUQPdJfgQ/playlists
Being a beginner this website helps me a lot.
PS: I love this Easttop chromatic
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lipflapper

Hello I'm new 3 weeks 1 day ago #9972

• keith
  • Thank you received: 124
Hi, Rachel, welcome aboard. :)

If you are mainly playing for health reasons, I'd suggest getting a valveless chromatic for your first, fairly cheap compared to a regular chromatic.
They take a bit more air to play. Then if you find that you enjoy playing, get a better one.
I own a Swan 1040 (valveless), & a Seydel Standard (valveless), amongst my collection.
Last Edit: 3 weeks 1 day ago by keith.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Lipflapper

Hello I'm new 3 weeks 1 day ago #9973

Do the valveless have the slide, still? Ive heard the slides can get sticky. I was thinking about picking up one without a slider, like the Tombow S 50

Hello I'm new 3 weeks 1 day ago #9974

Hi again Keith.
I can only see the two recommended by you for sale in the US. Can you recommend a valveless harp I can pick up in the uk please?
Thanks

Hello I'm new 3 weeks 1 day ago #9976

• dezzy
  • Platinum Member
  • Thank you received: 62
Rachel, as you are just learning and playing for your health I see no reason for wanting a chromatic at this time. Your 10 hole diatonic can play a great number of songs without bending notes. Everyone has difficulty in learning to bend notes. If your key C doesn't fit a song then learn to change the song key.
Time to create page: 0.200 seconds